• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2000 Toyota Tundra brake lights not working

tater

I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra. Her name is Tonya.

Her brake lights are not working when I press on the brake. I have pulled the back lights out, and the bulbs are fine. I checked the fuse, and it is not blown.

What could possibly be the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts

Her brake lights are not working when I press on the brake. I have pulled the back lights out, and the bulbs are fine. I checked the fuse, and it is not blown.

Did they go out instantly? Tail lights work?

tater

The running lights work. The left/right turn signals work. The back up white light works. But when I press on the brake no lights show. I appreciate your help.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
The pedal itself will make as connection when depressed and it closes the circuit to make your lights go on.

brake-light-wiring-diagram.jpg

tater

When I put my hand under the pedal I do not feel any wires, and instead my hand gets covered in grease. While it makes me look manly, it doesn't help me find any wires. Are these under the truck itself?

I once read there may be some computer chip or connector or something under the truck that relays between the tail light and the truck itself. Again, I've no clue about this so either talking incorrectly or just plain wrong. But wanted to throw that out there.

I appreciate your help.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Check the brake light switch. This is what makes contact when you press the brakes. Go through some of these videos and see if they help.

tater

As an update: I've located the brake light switch under the steering wheel. It is crazy tight area to try to work in. Attached shows image. I assume I try to remove the black plastic hex nut and not the brass nut not visible in the image?

Attachments

tater

Hi all - so to resume this conversation: I've tried everything I could to get my big fat hands and fingers into the tiny area where the brake light switch lives - and I can't seem to get in this very tight area to unplug the brake light switch.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing? Does someone know the trick to getting to this? Do I have to take the entire dash plate off?

its most likely the relay they are verry touchy take them out and clean them or if they are bad replace them

Related Content You Might Like: