• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

1997 T100 loses brake pressure

Mason

Hi all -

I recently purchased a 1997 T100 with just over 200k miles. i didn't notice it when test driving, but now that I have a few miles on it, i have noticed a brake pressure issue. I'll be sitting at a light, stopped, just waiting for the light to change and staring off into space... and i'll notice all of a sudden that i'm very slowly creeping forward. i'll have to apply more brake pressure. Also, i notice that as i apply more pressure, the pedal goes softer and further to the floor. Odd is that if i lift off the brake pedal, and then press back down again, I feel the pedal is 'repressurized' once more. Does this make sense the way I'm describing it? Odd problem, I've never experienced before. Anyone else ever have this issue w/their T100 or any other vehicle generally? Thoughts and fix advice appreciated. THANKS.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
You have a small leak somewhere in the system. This lets air in, and gives the feeling of a sinking peddle. If you pump the brakes, it gives enough pressure to get firm again, but fades after a little while. Find and fix the leak, then do a complete system bleed.A pressure bleed is best, but it can be done with two people as well if its done correctly.

Aharon Judovin

I have a 1997'th Landcruiser. Unfortunately after 21 years all rubber parts became stiff, cracked and brittle. They all need to be replaced: hoses, gaskets etc. I've replaced radiator, all water and steering hoses under the bonnet. Didn't have to replace brake hoses, yet. But I know that is coming so I've bought spares already. My point is I don't think that leak in the brake system is an isolated incident. Its a symptom of an old rubber. So if you intend to keep your 22 years old Toyota for many years, then you might want to make a list of all rubber parts that weren't replaced in the past 5 years and start replacing them proactively as opposed to waiting for a problem to force you to park your car. Your local Toyota dealers don't carry spare parts for 22 your old cars. They order parts from abroad and make you wait two weeks. So what I used to do is I asked my mechanic for a list of things that need replacements and I used to buy the necessary parts online. Upon arrival I went to my mechanic to replace whatever leaked and all the adjacent parts, so he would not have to disassemble half the car next time to replace an old hose that is located next to the one that leaks. Sorry for laying on you the harsh reality. Best of luck to you.

Tony TRD

Hi all -

I recently purchased a 1997 T100 with just over 200k miles. i didn't notice it when test driving, but now that I have a few miles on it, i have noticed a brake pressure issue. I'll be sitting at a light, stopped, just waiting for the light to change and staring off into space... and i'll notice all of a sudden that i'm very slowly creeping forward. i'll have to apply more brake pressure. Also, i notice that as i apply more pressure, the pedal goes softer and further to the floor. Odd is that if i lift off the brake pedal, and then press back down again, I feel the pedal is 'repressurized' once more. Does this make sense the way I'm describing it? Odd problem, I've never experienced before. Anyone else ever have this issue w/their T100 or any other vehicle generally? Thoughts and fix advice appreciated. THANKS.
I would say that you need a master cylinder. If there are no external leaks anywhere in the brake system then the MC is leaking internally, worn piston cups, and needs to be replaced.

Related Content You Might Like: