• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

1995 T100 transmission forum

Zara

1995 T100 3.4L. Last transmission flush was in 2006, 160K miles on it. I read that a flush could cause shifting and other problems and it should not be flushed yet the dealer says they don't just drain and fill anymore but only do flushes. The fluid is a light tan/brown right now. So I'm unsure what to do. I do not want to ruin this truck! And I don't want to be taken advantage of...single female over 70..you get it. Does anyone care to weigh in on this? Thanks

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Well, I just had my transmission rebuilt in my 1997 Chevy Silverado. My Chevy had 250,000 + miles before it went out. We used to do work at the shop I work at, for a guy who ownes the tranission shop I had mine rebuilt at. His words about changing fluid or flushing a transmission was this. He said that new transmission fluid had a lot of cleaners in it, and that will wash away any build up of material that will have deposited on the bans and clutches. So in doing a fluid change or flush a lot of the time, it makes a transmission slip that was not slipping before. Chances are, if the fluid is turning brownish, the transmission is already waring out. As the owner of the transmission shop told me, run it until it quits, then have it rebuilt. When my transmission went out, I was still able to drive it. It just didnt have R or OD. I drove it to his shop. 1 week later,my truck was fixed. Cost me $2800. It may be more for a Toyota, IDK. Maybe make some phone calls to a few local transmission repair shops. It is not necessary to have you local Toyota dealer to do this type of work. A trick to finding a good shop is that a good shop will be busy.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Thank you for the info...interesting. I'm not sure the truck is worth putting the cost of a rebuild into it.
I can understand that. It gets to a point that it cost more to repair a vehicle that what the vehicle is worth. At that point, you have to ask your self this. What will it cost to replace it. Then is there any emotional ties to the vehicle. If not, then sometimes its better to let it go. At the minimum how bad do you need the truck, and can you afford to replace it. It cost a lot less to fix one than to replace it with a new one. Its not worth a whole lot anyway, IMO run it until it quits.

Zara

If I can get 5 years out of it I'll be too old to care! I don't use it much but I do use it for the landfill, yardwaste and when I have to haul something that won't fit in my car. I don't know how to back up with a small trailer and I do need it occassionally. I do have a sentimental attchement to it I guess as it's such a great truck and there's no computer stuff on it. I say that because the clear coat is peeling off the top and I'm going to spend the money to repaint that part. I've also sunk $4K 3 years ago into the underside parts...lucky a wheel didn't fall off! Considering I have people in line who want to buy it when I'm ready perhaps I would have the transmission rebuilt. But I'd ask for some of that moey back in the sale. I have an appointment for a drain and fill on Friday but may just cancel it. Thing is there is no way I could afford to replace it even with a used truck that probably wouldn't be as good. Decisions, decisions. Thanks again!

Related Content You Might Like: