• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

1989 Toyota Pickup - Need Help With Flasher Location - Blinker & Hazard Lights Not Working

Toyingwithyou

I have a 1989 Toyota Pickup and I can't find the signal flasher at all. The only place I haven't checked is behind the fuse box. Please help.

Edit: Currently I don't have any blinkers or hazards working.

Last edited by a moderator:

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Check above the clutch pedal or where one would be if you have an automatic. May be attached to the dash with a bracket. If it's one of those clicker type flasher, cut blinker on and listen for it - then zoom in.

Toyingwithyou

Check above the clutch pedal or where one would be if you have an automatic. May be attached to the dash with a bracket. If it's one of those clicker type flasher, cut blinker on and listen for it - then zoom in.
Currently I don't have any blinkers or hazards working. So I wouldn't be able to home in on the sound. But I'll try looking where you suggested

Toyingwithyou

Found the flasher...also found out another issue...there was a 25 amp fuse in the blinker fuse location. It was supposed to be a 10 amp. Could that have fried my flasher? The flasher is only rated for 168 watts.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
So question, did you buy this and they had been working and then quit working, or did you just start working on this and don't know if they had recently been working or not.

Seeing how it's a UHaul retired truck, they probably did some rewiring to get the extra lights working. Are you looking to get all of them working or want to take it back to factory OEM lighting specs?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Found the flasher...also found out another issue...there was a 25 amp fuse in the blinker fuse location. It was supposed to be a 10 amp. Could that have fried my flasher? The flasher is only rated for 168 watts.
There is both a flasher and also a flasher relay under the dash. Might be worth a try on that relay as that would mess up the flasher for sure and it won't kick on if that fried.

Also, what about all of the rest of the lights? Instrument cluster is ok? Dome light? Headlights including high-beam? Tail and brake lights?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Not sure if that's something that UHaul did or someone after the fact did. The 25 amp fuse of course takes 2.5x the juice to pop so it could be the culprit ... just as long as UHaul didn't somehow upgrade the wiring on this when they added the extra lights.

Toyingwithyou

The guy I got this from told me that the blinkers we working before I drove it away to my home. I was on the highway and the blinkers wouldn't work. Neither would the dash indicators. And along with the hazards.

The headlights, running lights and brakelights work.

Is the flasher relay that cylindrical looking silver cap fuse that's on the fuse box?
Could you send a pic of what the flasher relay looks like? That is like the only thing I haven't checked.

Toyingwithyou

Yeah that's what I replaced. But you said that there was a "flasher" AND a "flasher relay".
The flasher is good. The fuses are good.

But still no dash indicators, no blinkers and no hazards.

Toyingwithyou

I think I may have stumbled into something...there's more symptoms actually and I'm just now putting the pieces together.

The dimmer light for the dash is out. The Horn doesn't work. And also the hazards. All 3 of those are in the engine bay fuse box. And a side affect would be the blinkers being out as well right? The blinker fuse is in the fuse box under the dash.

Toyingwithyou

I found out the problem...the flasher isn't getting any power...but how to fix this I do not know :( hmmmmm....any ideas?

And also the engine bay junction box doesn't seem to be getting power either...could this be what's breaking the connection to the flasher? I'm not getting any readings from the had/horn fuse location.

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
There are several things you can do to fix this. The simplest fix, is to run a new supply wire from a source that comes on with the key in the run position. Is there power @ the original turn signal fuse? if so, you can tap into that and run a new wire to the + @ the flasher. You could even run a new wire directly from the battery, to the flasher, as long as you add a fuse in that wire. The only issue with this, is that the signals will work even with the key is in the off position.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
There may be a place in your fuse box for ACC. If so, this is a good place to tie a new supply wire into. Just add a fuse in your new wire, the same size as the original turn signal fuse is.

Toyingwithyou

Sweetness!
Yeah the original turn signal fuse is getting power.

But of the 3 wires going to the flasher, which one will I splice?

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Sorry, I'm not thinking straight. The first thing the supply does, is go to the turn signal switch. When you turn the switch to the left, or right turn position, then you get power to the flasher, when the key is in the run position. So to test this, turn the key on, then put the turn signal on in ether left or right turn, and there should be power @ the flasher. Again I apologize, for the mistake. If there is no power @ the flasher, then you will need to trace the wires back from the switch to the flasher. This may also help you. Look at what color the wire is @ the turn signal fuse, on each side of the fuse, if you can see it. Trace this back into the cab. This will be your supply for the turn signal switch. You will need to unwrap the wire harness to trace these wires. Once you find and fix the issue, you will need to tape your wires back up with electrical tape.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Your welcome. Also you may be lucky enough to be able to see the wires going into the switch with out having to unwrap much of the harness. Look close at the wire @ the fuse. It may be one color with a stripe. If you can find the same color wire, with the same color stripe @ the steering column, this should be the supply wire. I have also seen the switch itself go out before. It may need to be replaced. If you have power to the switch, but none coming out of the switch, then it will need to be replaced. If you have cut wires though, I bet that this is your issue,,, A cut wire.

Related Content You Might Like: