• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

1982 Toyota SBC Swap

cstone94

Hello fellow Yota Owners,

I traded my 1999 Audi A4 that i was in the process of building for a 1982 Toyota with a blown motor and a 305 Small Block Chevy. It's got an unknown amount of lift, looks like all suspension which is a plus. It came with worn out 35x15.50x15 Super Swamper TSL-SX's and brand new black wagon wheels.

IMAG0039.jpg

There she blows, getting ready for the swap. We pulled the old transmission and transfer case out, and with a little cutting of the cross member, we were one step closer!

I drove about an hour northeast of Martinsville to Gretna, VA. I picked up an SM-465 3-Speed with a Granny Low and a NP208c out of a 86 Chevrolet C20 with a 6.2L Diesel. All Chevy bellhousings matched in the 80's. We test fit the engine to see how we would mount up the radiator and fans. We're gonna run electric fans and a slim 2 core radiator, which is fine to cool a 305. The electric fan will keep it cool on the trail when moving slow.

IMG_20130113_135823.jpg

We may have to do a little cutting on the front clip, but we still havent had a for-sure position on the engine just yet.

We then slid the transmission and transfer case under the truck. I don't have a picture of it, but the bellhousing hit the transmission tunnel before the transmission was about 1 or 2 feet from the ground, which will result in some cutting of the tunnel.

I traded the old 22R that was torn down because of a spun bearing with a friend of mine that has plenty of Chevy parts to get us finished. I got a Weber 4 Barrel carb from him, a radiator, fans, engine mounts, etc.

This weekend we plan to weld in the mounts and then figure out what we're gonna do about the transmission.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Dont know how I missed this post before.
Looks like a solid truck, I've had a V8 Toyota or two over the years and their awsume with that weight to power ratio.
As you seem to already be addressing cooling is the biggest obstacle to getting everything working right on them.
Yea if you arent afraid of a little blue tip wrench work everything will fit in just fine.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Hi! cstone94 any updates, Does your truck is now okay and already running? Any issues you have encounter so far in the process of building?

Related Content You Might Like: