• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

1982 Hilux Engine Swap

mailman26

Hey everyone, i got a 5 speed 2 wheel drive '82 hilux that im looking to swap a different engine in.

I was thinking about getting a 7mge for it but i was doing some reading and it said that the transmission bellhousing is not removable in the L series transmission and it will not work.

Would it make sense to a G or W series transmission and put it in or is there a better option for a engine?

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Lots of folks seem pleased with the 3RZ 4-cylinder from a later model (mid-90s?) Toyota pickup/4Runner/T100. Plenty of room, but also lots of new electronics to install and adjust to get the 3RZ to run right.

I've also seen a 4.0L V6 from a late model Tacoma shoehorned/stuffed into a '86 4Runner. Not a good fit IMHO, as it's just too big for the engine bay. A scoop had to be added to the hood so it would close. Maybe some other V6s may fit, but don't bother with the V6 from the late 80s/early 90s. Not much improvement over the 22R.

Unless you have a bucket full of money to spend on the swap, my recommendation would be to remove the original Aisin carburetor and replace it with a 36/38 Weber carb from LC Engineering. Pretty much an easy swap, and you have the option of removing all the smog equipment that likely doesn't work well any more too, providing your local smog laws allow that. This can be done for less than $700 and one day of work. I am totally pleased with the results on our '83 4x4.

Last edited:

Related Content You Might Like: