• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

1978 20r Pickup with running problems

20rBill

I have been pulling out my hair trying to figure out what appears to be an electrical problem keep the engine running. When the engine is cold and the first start of the day, it will run for about 1 minute. It just purrs like a kitten and then a click and it just dies like I turned off the key. I know there is an electrical cold start circuit for first starts. However, according to my research, once "something" is recognized that the engine is running this circuit switches over to warm running mode. I know there is comething that switches a relay under the dash for the fuel pump relay but I am certain there is more that this cold to warm running circuit provides power to.

Does anyone know what I am talking about and how to help diagnose this or idea(s) on where to look for the source of the problem? I am desparate and really hate towing this to the mechanic for this truck.

Its a great truck but it burns me up to rent a tow dolly everytime this thing wants to misbehave.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I have been pulling out my hair trying to figure out what appears to be an electrical problem keep the engine running. When the engine is cold and the first start of the day, it will run for about 1 minute. It just purrs like a kitten and then a click and it just dies like I turned off the key. I know there is an electrical cold start circuit for first starts. However, according to my research, once "something" is recognized that the engine is running this circuit switches over to warm running mode. I know there is comething that switches a relay under the dash for the fuel pump relay but I am certain there is more that this cold to warm running circuit provides power to.

Does anyone know what I am talking about and how to help diagnose this or idea(s) on where to look for the source of the problem? I am desparate and really hate towing this to the mechanic for this truck.

Its a great truck but it burns me up to rent a tow dolly everytime this thing wants to misbehave.
Ive heard of this before but I'm not an expert by any stretch. How long has this been happening?

jimmyjim

this sounds like something in the smog system. is there a switch on that attached to a vacume line that is opening when it gets warm? but a minute doesnt sound long enough for that. what kind of ignition does it have. my hanes doesnt go that far back.

Related Content You Might Like: