• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Big 3 Up Grade Electrical

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
If you are going to add a sub woofer, and amp, light bars, or anything that is a large draw on the battery, you should do the big 3 up grade.

Any good auto sound shop can do this for you, but its not that hard to DYI.

All you are doing is improving the charging and ground wires in your ride, by installing more very large wires so that alternator can charge the battery much easier and quicker.

Here is what you want to do.

You will add 1 wire with a large fuse (around 150 amp, depending on the capacity of your alternator ) going from the charging wire of the alt, back to the positive post of battery.

Then you will add another wire (same size, from the case of the alt to the negative post of the battery. Another wire this same size from the battery to the frame of the vehicle.

This is the big 3.

Now you can add another ground wire from the battery, back to the engine block, and one more ground wire from the battery back to the truck cab.

The reason that you want to do the truck cab, is because chances are, you are grounding the amp, or your new lights, or whatever, rite at the cab, and not all the way back to the battery. Keep this in mind.

Your battery is just a storage tank for electricity, it is your alt that your battery get its power from. The OE wires are small and will keep up with the OE demands of your truck, but when you start adding sub woofer, amps, light bars, a wench, ECT the OE wires just are not large enough to keep up.

And if you are thinking about adding electric fans, then this up grade is a must. So what size wire ? The common size used is 1/0 wire. You can save your self a little money by using welding lead for this, but keep in mind that welding lead is not intended for this, and will not be as tough as the audio cable is.

Here are a few videos.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
It's the rule of threes! Really makes me look back at electrical issues in my past and wondering if i didn't have a good strong electrical base to add from.

Related Content You Might Like: