• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

New Weber 32/36 On The 'ol '83

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
I've had the Weber kit from LCE for several weeks, just waiting for some warmer weather. Finally did the job a week ago! After about 5.5 hours (took my time), the truck has been de-smogged and the Weber installed. Pulled off maybe 100 pounds of smog junk that obviously didn't work well, if at all. Lots of the little plastic stuff just broke when I tried to pull the vacuum hoses off 'cuz they were so brittle from age. The Aisin carb must have been really messed up, as gas poured out from every hose that was connected to the carb as I removed them, and there were a bunch of those hoses. I also fixed an exhaust leak at the smog pump injection port (smog pump now gone too), and the breather on the valve cover no longer leaks. I removed and plugged most of the old sensors, and after removing all the smog junk, the engine compartment is much cleaner & open. I kept one of the charcoal cannisters, but removed the 2nd one that was under the battery.

The Weber install went very smoothly, but LCE really needs to improve/update their installation instructions. I had a couple of minor parts left over that had no place to go (?), and while some of the "required" changes were pretty obvious, they weren't mentioned in the instructions at all. Everything went together perfectly though, and the truck fired up instantly when I was finished with the install (plenty of gas/fumes still in the intake manifold from the leaky Aisin). I installed the fuel pressure gauge and quickly adjusted the included fuel pressure regulator to about 2.7 pounds of pressure. Then I removed the pressure gauge, as I don't expect the pressure to change. Since I live at almost 5000 ft elevation, I think I will work on re-jetting the Weber soon to compensate for the elevation. The manual choke works fine.

All-in-all, a very successful day's work. The truck starts & runs MUCH better than it did. It now idles smoothly too, with no more black smoke from running rich. The improved power was immediately obvious when I took a short test drive. Lastly, it's also much quieter--likely due to the repaired exhaust leak. Photos of: before, after, and the box of junk.

Attachments

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Pretty impressive rickc5. Amazing how much better an engine can run without being bogged down with all the emissions stuff.

Related Content You Might Like: