• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

92 22re Ticking Sounds Like Marbles In A Steel Can And When Hitting The Throttle It Is Hesitant

gene

Help please
You need to be more specific.

You could say that my 22RE sounds the same, having non-hydraulic lifters that need to be adjusted according to the factory by mileage/time. They are just noisy, even after adjustment. Just the design.

Has your 22RE had a complete tune-up recently? (ever, or at least since you bought it?)
Plugs, distributor/rotor cap, wires, etc?

Remember, maintenance is your best friend,

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
It could be your catalytic converter. It may be plugged up. Here is a video on how to check it.

Mtb_71

You need to be more specific.

You could say that my 22RE sounds the same, having non-hydraulic lifters that need to be adjusted according to the factory by mileage/time. They are just noisy, even after adjustment. Just the design.

Has your 22RE had a complete tune-up recently? (ever, or at least since you bought it?)
Plugs, distributor/rotor cap, wires, etc?

Remember, maintenance is your best friend,
Motor has been rebuilt from crank to crank bearings rods pistons rings and a brand new head. Has brand new timing chain metal guides new water pump oil pump brand new radiator has new plugs wires and distributor also has new o2 sensor tps and crank sensor. Lmk if you need to know anything else I'm at a loss on trying to fix this thing my dad wants to drop the oil pan and check the bearings and rods again but im just trying to find a solution before we do that again because it will be the third time we have had to do it and I'm pretty sure y'all know how much a pain in the ass that is lol.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Get a mechanic stethoscope and listen to the engine while it is running, to pinpoint where the sound is comming from. This will help you know where the issue is.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
I agree with Gene (first reply above) that you need to check your valve adjustment before you start dropping the oil pan. Using a stethoscope is also a VERY good idea--and you can use one with the valve cover off to verify if the valves are the source of the noise.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
And a third vote for checking the valve adjustment. These little engines get real noisey when out of adjustment.
If they get excessive wear they will run fine but remain noisey even when properly adjusted.

gene

Rick,

From what I've heard, running the 22R-series with the valve cover off is a very bad idea. It will squirt oil all over the engine and engine compartment. The engine pumps oil into the valve area to lubricate things.

I agree with Gene (first reply above) that you need to check your valve adjustment before you start dropping the oil pan. Using a stethoscope is also a VERY good idea--and you can use one with the valve cover off to verify if the valves are the source of the noise.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Rick,

From what I've heard, running the 22R-series with the valve cover off is a very bad idea. It will squirt oil all over the engine and engine compartment. The engine pumps oil into the valve area to lubricate things.
X2, you will have oil everywhere

Mtb_71

I'm pretty sure the valves are adjusted correctly. from other things I've read it could be pre ignition.

Mtb_71

Motor has been rebuilt from crank to crank bearings rods pistons rings and a brand new head. Has brand new timing chain metal guides new water pump oil pump brand new radiator has new plugs wires and distributor also has new o2 sensor tps and crank sensor. Lmk if you need to know anything else I'm at a loss on trying to fix this thing my dad wants to drop the oil pan and check the bearings and rods again but im just trying to find a solution before we do that again because it will be the third time we have had to do it and I'm pretty sure y'all know how much a pain in the ass that is lol.

Mtb_71

And a third vote for checking the valve adjustment. These little engines get real noisey when out of adjustment.
If they get excessive wear they will run fine but remain noisey even when properly adjusted.
Do you have an email address that i could send a video to so i can show you what im talking about? It would probably help out a lot for you to diagnose what's going on. I tried to upload it so i could show it to everybody in the thread but it was to big.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I listened to your audio, it really sounds like the valves/rockers are tightened down to much, the engine almost sounds like its struggling to rotate.
Normal causes of this would be valves adjusted to tight, or bad cam and or crank bearings.
The screeching noise when the engine stalls also makes me feel one of these is the issue.
Have you tried removing the spark plugs and turning over the engine? How does it rotate? Is it smooth or does it feel sticker and clunky?

Mtb_71

I listened to your audio, it really sounds like the valves/rockers are tightened down to much, the engine almost sounds like its struggling to rotate.
Normal causes of this would be valves adjusted to tight, or bad cam and or crank bearings.
The screeching noise when the engine stalls also makes me feel one of these is the issue.
Have you tried removing the spark plugs and turning over the engine? How does it rotate? Is it smooth or does it feel sticker and clunky?
I will get back to you on that man ill take another video of it without the plugs in it and ill check valves and make sure they are torqued to factory specifications

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Who rebuilt and assembled the lower end? Did they plastigauge or Mic the bearings and races before assembly?
Were touque specs followed?
This engine sounds like its struggling to run.
If I remember correctly you've run some miles on it, what does the oil look like? Have you checked the filter media for metal particles?

Mtb_71

My dad and i rebuilt the whole bottom end and we followed the torque specifications but we didn't use a plastigauge or anything like that. literally the only thing that isn't new is the block itself but ill check the oil and stuff when i get off work i get off at 4 and then I'll let you know what I've found and I really appreciate you taking the time to help me diagnosis what's wrong.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Did you replace the lower end bearings?
Truthfully it sounds like a top end, valves, rockers, cam issue. But that death screech as the motor stops makes me think some bearings aren't properly clearanced.
Could be the cam.
Correct torque specs mean nothing if the you've got oversized beaings or bearing races, which is why I asked about the motor turning over with no plugs and by hand.

Related Content You Might Like: