• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Electrical Power

Bangsolio

New member. Thanks for having me. I have a 1983 pickup with a 22r that I plan on restoring to its original glory. In the mean time I use it to plow my lane way. When the truck is running the plow controls draw too much. When the truck is not running but the ignition is on the plow controls work well. Might it be the alternator? And can I get a stronger one?

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I guessing you have the stock setup with the battery & alternator? If so, I would say a higher amp battery & higher amp alternator would be a good place to start. If there is room, IMO, a dual battery setup is best. Let us know what you decide.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The factory alternator was anemic at best, don't quote me on this but I think it drew less than 80amps. Way to low for what your doing.
Mean Green has an alternator that pulls around 135 amps at 2000 rpms, coupled with a second battery, and a hand throttle I think you can get the results you desire.
A hand throttle can be rigged by purchasing a friction lock style bicycle shifter cable/mechanism, clamp it to the stick shift below the the shift knob and route the cable down the shifter and out to the carb. This allows you to control the rpms by the hand throttle, and set it at an optimum rpm for max alternator output.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
To add to what tibadoe, and tbplus10 has said. Another big improvement is to do the big 3 up grade. The wire from the alt to the battery is small. By adding a large wire (with a fuse) from the alt to the battery, and one from the chassis of the alt to the neg on the battery, this will allow for the alt to flow a much larger amount of electricity back to the battery. Also from the battery, the same large wire should be run to the engine block. This is the big 3, but it is also help full to add 2 more ground wires. Both from the battery, 1 to the frame of the truck, and another to the body of the truck, making this a big 5 up grade. I did my Chevy truck like this several months ago. I used a #2 welding lead as my up grade wire. There are a lot of videos on you tube about the big 3 up grade. Keep in mind in simple terms, electricity flows like water. A bigger the wire, is like a bigger hose. You will get more out of it, than you will a smaller hose, or wire.

Bangsolio

I guessing you have the stock setup with the battery & alternator? If so, I would say a higher amp battery & higher amp alternator would be a good place to start. If there is room, IMO, a dual battery setup is best. Let us know what you decide.
I have a dual battery set up. I guess the alternator is the next step. I have upgraded the grounds as well but I'll be sure to investigate them further as well. Thanks.

Bangsolio

To add to what tibadoe, and tbplus10 has said. Another big improvement is to do the big 3 up grade. The wire from the alt to the battery is small. By adding a large wire (with a fuse) from the alt to the battery, and one from the chassis of the alt to the neg on the battery, this will allow for the alt to flow a much larger amount of electricity back to the battery. Also from the battery, the same large wire should be run to the engine block. This is the big 3, but it is also help full to add 2 more ground wires. Both from the battery, 1 to the frame of the truck, and another to the body of the truck, making this a big 5 up grade. I did my Chevy truck like this several months ago. I used a #2 welding lead as my up grade wire. There are a lot of videos on you tube about the big 3 up grade. Keep in mind in simple terms, electricity flows like water. A bigger the wire, is like a bigger hose. You will get more out of it, than you will a smaller hose, or wire.
I will for sure upgrade the alternator and double check my grounds. Thanks for the help.

Bangsolio

The factory alternator was anemic at best, don't quote me on this but I think it drew less than 80amps. Way to low for what your doing.
Mean Green has an alternator that pulls around 135 amps at 2000 rpms, coupled with a second battery, and a hand throttle I think you can get the results you desire.
A hand throttle can be rigged by purchasing a friction lock style bicycle shifter cable/mechanism, clamp it to the stick shift below the the shift knob and route the cable down the shifter and out to the carb. This allows you to control the rpms by the hand throttle, and set it at an optimum rpm for max alternator output.
Where could a Canadian like myself aquire a mean green alternator for an 83 22r?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Start at 4wheel parts wholesale, they carry this product and I know they ship North of the Border.
You can also Google mean green to see if they have any Canadian vendors.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
As TBplus10 suggested check with vendor who ships to Canada
I get items shipped to the border as I'm in Northwestern Ontario..40km from border. Most anything for vehicles I buy in US. Was there today lapping up $2.55 gasoline:)

Related Content You Might Like: