• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Tired of sitting in a hole ~ Toyota Tacoma Seat Spacers

Dave

I don't think so it seems o be a normal seat cover but pretty heavy duty, more Iike upholstery then just covers, great product

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I have been using a seat cushion in my truck. The seat is worn. Maybe raise the seat. Around here we use hockey pucks for spacers. I have been considering buckets out of a OT vehicle.

GerardThai

Shortly after buying my 2014 I decided that the seats did not feel right. After thinking about it I determined that the angle of the seat bottom was too severe. In other words it slanted down in the back too much for me. I did some research and found this guy. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/ProductLine.shtml.

I ordered 2 sets of his seat spacers for $30 and was very pleased with the results. Paid for the standard shipping on Friday from California and they arrived in Central Florida Monday.

It took me less that 15 minutes to do both front seats. You just pull off the plastic covers, remove the old bolts, push the seats up and slide the new spacers in. Install the new bolts and put the covers back on and you're done.

The seat feels so much better and I like sitting higher (I'm only 5'6"). Also it took a lot of pressure off my hips and the back of my thighs. Now I will have to raise my mirror but that is also easy and I believe that member Tacoma Parts published a link to that kit.

So i'm the proud owner of a '15 access cab 4x4. This is my 3rd tacoma. The problem I've experienced is exactly the same as what you've listed. You stated, and someone else pointed it out, "the bottom of the angle of the seat bottom was too severe". If I were to modify my seat height as you did using the kit, wouldn't the angle of the seat cushion in relation to the backrest remain the same? I'm finding the bottom of the seat back cushion is hitting my back. I have a cushion on the seat that's made of rigid foam but I've noticed that after an hour in the truck, my left leg starts to go numb.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Shortly after buying my 2014 I decided that the seats did not feel right. After thinking about it I determined that the angle of the seat bottom was too severe. In other words it slanted down in the back too much for me. I did some research and found this guy. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/ProductLine.shtml.

I ordered 2 sets of his seat spacers for $30 and was very pleased with the results. Paid for the standard shipping on Friday from California and they arrived in Central Florida Monday.

It took me less that 15 minutes to do both front seats. You just pull off the plastic covers, remove the old bolts, push the seats up and slide the new spacers in. Install the new bolts and put the covers back on and you're done.

The seat feels so much better and I like sitting higher (I'm only 5'6"). Also it took a lot of pressure off my hips and the back of my thighs. Now I will have to raise my mirror but that is also easy and I believe that member Tacoma Parts published a link to that kit.
Over 4 years strong, this is still one of the most visited posts on the website.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
One of the biggest complaints about the current cab design of the Tacoma (the exact same since 2005) is that the seating position is way too low, and lots of drivers feel that they're sitting on the floor. As long as there is still sufficient head room, adding spacers like those above can help the situation somewhat.

But, I'm STILL irritated that Toyota seems to insist that the newest Tacomas are a "complete re-design" and a "new generation" when that statement is not just inaccurate, but wrong. Yes, they changed lots of stuff, but the cab itself did NOT get re-designed--it's a hold-over since 2005, and the seating position remained the same.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
One of the biggest complaints about the current cab design of the Tacoma (the exact same since 2005) is that the seating position is way too low, and lots of drivers feel that they're sitting on the floor. As long as there is still sufficient head room, adding spacers like those above can help the situation somewhat.

But, I'm STILL irritated that Toyota seems to insist that the newest Tacomas are a "complete re-design" and a "new generation" when that statement is not just inaccurate, but wrong. Yes, they changed lots of stuff, but the cab itself did NOT get re-designed--it's a hold-over since 2005, and the seating position remained the same.
That's where they're between a rock and a hard place. What they need is a better seat capable of properly sitting all types of drivers. I sit tall in the saddle so i prefer a lower seat starting point but i also don't like the channelled feeling like your legs go straight out in front of you either.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
My biggest issue is hitting my head gettin into my 4 runner. My Sister has a Corolla, and It is imposable for me to get into that car. In my old age, and being fat like I am, my body just doesnt bend enough to fold on the middle to fit into a small car or even small SUV or truck. When the roof line hits my head just above my ear, Im not goint to but something like that.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
My biggest issue is hitting my head gettin into my 4 runner. My Sister has a Corolla, and It is imposable for me to get into that car. In my old age, and being fat like I am, my body just doesnt bend enough to fold on the middle to fit into a small car or even small SUV or truck. When the roof line hits my head just above my ear, Im not goint to but something like that.
I'm with ya Kenny! I really hate how I have to contort myself to fit into most newish passenger cars these days. We rented a Corolla when visiting Florida a couple of years ago and I simply could NOT drive the thing. I was forced to upgrade to a SUV just to get comfortable. I also don't like to hit my head on the door frame when getting in.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
My 4 runner isnt to bad about the low roof line but I do have to bend my neck so I dont hit my head. I'm only 5´10´´ tall. Yes I a have a large frame, and I do weight 265 # and I am 59 years old, but the roof line is just way to low on a lot of cars. We looked at a Yarus a few years ago. I liked the little car, but I figured out why Toyota named it Yarus. Its because Yarus dosnt fit into the car unless you are little. There are a lot of people out there a lot bigger than I am. Here is a recent pic of me. I know I am not little, but I am not that big ether. Oh and purple is LSU colors.
20180626_131457.jpg

Last edited:

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Yeah. I'm 71 y.o., 225 lbs. and I don't bend like I did in my 20s or 40s. I had to invent a unique method for getting into my '83 pickup, as just jumping in didn't work. Mostly my fault for installing those bucket seats from a 4Runner. But, once I'm in, those seats are very comfortable compared to the original bench.

I think the Japanese auto makers keep trying to sell Americans the same tiny cars that are popular in Japan, but they're designed for much smaller Japanese people, and DUH!, we don't fit.

Related Content You Might Like: