• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Vw Bug On Fire On Freeway

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Feel bad for these guys. Passed this vw burning today and nothing i could do, others had stopped to call 911 and assist.

Terrible Smell.

20171104_165828.jpg
20171104_165826.jpg

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Really smelled bad. Hope they were able to get it put out before more damage was done.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
That's actually a common problem on bugs, there's a fuel line that runs near the vents below the rear window, top of the engine compartment. Fuel line leaks are popular because there's a fuel line clamp that sits under the edge of the top of the hood/bottom edge of the body that vibrates against the body and loosens. Its hard to get at and tighten and being out of site gets forgotten.

gene

That's actually a common problem on bugs, there's a fuel line that runs near the vents below the rear window, top of the engine compartment. Fuel line leaks are popular because there's a fuel line clamp that sits under the edge of the top of the hood/bottom edge of the body that vibrates against the body and loosens. Its hard to get at and tighten and being out of site gets forgotten.
To add to what you said, I've had many Air-cooled VW's, and after reading about another man's experience, I checked the brass nipple that is the PICT carbs fuel inlet. it loosen's up with time, and the fuel pressure forces the nipple out, spraying gasoline.

I checked my Karmann Ghia after reading this, and I could easily pull the nipple out. I staked it in the carb using a punch, and no more problem. I shudder when I think of how close I came to losing my beloved '74 KG Cabriolet.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Good to see a classic VW was possibly saved by the sharing of information.
I used to be into Baja bugs, almost every one I checked back in the day had this issue. I got in the habit of checking the line after a friends all original 59 oval window burned to the ground one night during the middle of a local cruise. Sad part is he had been smelling fuel for a few days but couldn't find the source.

Related Content You Might Like: