• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2019 Toyota 4Runner to be a Uni-body Toyota Fortuner?

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Anyone else noticed all the online teasers (YouTube, etc.) showing that the 2019 4Runner will likely be a re-badged Toyota Fortuner (made & sold in Asia/middle East, but not Japan)?

My local dealer has already confirmed that the 2019 4Runner will be a uni-body and no longer a body-on-frame truck. WTF?

Next question would be how would this "NEW" 4Runner compare to the Highlander? Seems like two VERY similar vehicles to me. Weird.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Sounds weird indeed. I haven't been on YouTube lately -- will check this out. Thanks!

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Honestly haven't been keeping up with the change, if this happens I wonder how it will affect the trucks off road abilities.
Body on frame trucks have remained popular due to the ability to get a little crossed up but not flex out body panels to badly, or twist so bad doors won't open or pop open on their own.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
According to Wikipedia, the Fortuner has been around for many years and is in it's 2nd or 3rd generation. So, it "may" be considered a decent SUV for use in 3rd world countries.

However, I'm extremely disappointed that Toyota is dropping what is about the ONLY remaining body-on-frame SUV left in the market. I can't help but think that any unibody SUV would not do as well in off-road expeditions compared to b-o-f. But, that's just my opinion. Looks like the soccer moms win another one.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
So the 4runner will be a station wagon, no longer a truck. Why,, just to lighten the vehicle. Big step backwards. IMO

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Where did you see this at? I can see the Fotuner sold in other markets, it's built on the Hilux chassis. With the 4Runner sales going through the roof, I can't imagine Toyota making this change.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I was at the State Fair of Texas automotive media day in September 2009 when Toyota revealed the current 4Runner platform. It was amazing then and it's still amazing now. If you look at the sales of the 2010 4Runner onward, they made impressive growth in the market with this vehicle. I think they must be thinking that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I mean, they sold nearly 130k 4Runners last year and they're on pace for something near that this year as well. I'm thinking that people want the flexibility of a SUV, a smaller overall vehicle that can still tow 5,000 lbs that can seat more people then a truck and having even better overall offroad capability.

Toyota turned around US 4Runner sales with record numbers.

Related Content You Might Like: