• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Toyota T100 Truck History

Toyota Girl

100 Posts
Ok, someone asked about the Toyota T100 not being on here, and they just added this forum for it. I did some research on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_T100.

Looks like the Toyota T100 was built between 1993 and 1998 and it was later replaced by the Toyota Tundra (which is a much better truck). The T100 did NOT sell well in the US from what I gather and they mostly sold it elsewhere around the world.

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Who's got a T100 i wonder? How many of them are on the road in the US?

MD_Weems

100 Posts
I've had two, I actually REALLY loved mine. Had a couple of friends buy one as well after I got my second one. I've had a '93 and a '98. The '98 got wrecked *cry. I loved that it would go anywhere I wanted it to, it was really easy to work on when something went down on it, and I got a lot of compliments on it every time I was out. I wish that they had made them longer, as I know that they would have only gotten better. But, gotta make what sells I guess.

GearHead

100 Posts
I'm curious as to how the Tundra is a much better truck. What features did the T100 lack? Seems like those who had them and have them love them. I guess I'll do a bit of research as well.

danstpierre

100 Posts
The original T100 is robust. I wonder why it did not performed in the US market well? Maybe it's the price and gas consumed factor?

gladden

Yeah.. bad timing. Maybe, Toyota had not foreseen that producing a great truck during a crisis is bad for business.. That was a lesson learned.

john505

I think the early T-100's were under powered with that small V6 to push a much larger truck. In the begining of the 1993 toyota T-100 they only offered a standard cab. A person looking to buy wants the bigger cab for family. Later years toyota came out with the much better selling T-100 with the 190 horsepower 3.4 liter V6 it had alot better get up and go to it. But in the end this truck lost out to the american pickups, because toyota did not offer much with the truck. The only thing you could get back then was power locks/windows. bucket seats, a/c and a stereo. The american trucks did offer so much more for the same price. They had heated mirrors, some with leather heated seats, a full rear beanch seat, sliding moon roof. and 4 doors that all opened. The T-100 only had the 2 doors with or with out the ext. cab. So there were alot of things to look at when people went to buy the T-100. I myself own a T-100 and enjoy it but its lacking alot of the comforts in the interior cab that is found on chevy and ford.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The 3.0 engine I think did a lot to hurt T100 sales, it was under powered for the size of the truck and right around the time T100's were introduced problems with the 3.0 started showing up to hurt the reputation of the engine.
T100's were hard to find dressed out they rarely offered extras and as pointed out the market place had lots of American made trucks with plenty of amenities and the price wasnt that much more, not to mention you could get a more powerful engine that got close to the same fuel mileage. Bad planning and for Toyota a rare but bad engine platform all together killed this truck.

john505

3.0 engine

Yes tbplus10: i do agree with you. The 3.0 engine in the T-100 did hurt sales. It may have killed it for toyota. I'v read about some problems with this engine. That would scrare off the buyer for sure. I know if im buying a new truck i want more for the money. On both counts the engine was way to small for that truck and toyota didn't offer alot of amenities. The interior was very plain. Bad planning for sure!

The 3.0 engine I think did a lot to hurt T100 sales, it was under powered for the size of the truck and right around the time T100's were introduced problems with the 3.0 started showing up to hurt the reputation of the engine.
T100's were hard to find dressed out they rarely offered extras and as pointed out the market place had lots of American made trucks with plenty of amenities and the price wasnt that much more, not to mention you could get a more powerful engine that got close to the same fuel mileage. Bad planning and for Toyota a rare but bad engine platform all together killed this truck.

Agonzo_T100

Could not disagree more I have a 97 t100 267K miles on it and has always been good to me. Its the perfect size truck for a home owner. Moving, house projects etc...The new tacomas are the same size as the T100s

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
My uncle use to have this T100 2 months ago, we use always it when we go to grocery it perform well and very reliable to use. He sell it an buy 2010 Tacoma.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I think the early T-100's were under powered with that small V6 to push a much larger truck. In the begining of the 1993 toyota T-100 they only offered a standard cab. A person looking to buy wants the bigger cab for family. Later years toyota came out with the much better selling T-100 with the 190 horsepower 3.4 liter V6 it had alot better get up and go to it. But in the end this truck lost out to the american pickups, because toyota did not offer much with the truck. The only thing you could get back then was power locks/windows. bucket seats, a/c and a stereo. The american trucks did offer so much more for the same price. They had heated mirrors, some with leather heated seats, a full rear beanch seat, sliding moon roof. and 4 doors that all opened. The T-100 only had the 2 doors with or with out the ext. cab. So there were alot of things to look at when people went to buy the T-100. I myself own a T-100 and enjoy it but its lacking alot of the comforts in the interior cab that is found on chevy and ford.
Good insights John.

gatorJ

This is an interesting thread. I wonder when Toyota will produce another new truck brand. Anyone know of something in the pipeline.

Lon Ross

I have read.. it is the dollar fluctuation.. Bad timing to produce a great car.
The big three had the government charge a twenty five percent tax on full size trucks coming into the US back then. That meant you could buy a Chevy or Ford for less, and US buyers were used to them. Also. more motor options on US trucks. The T100 4cyl had more HP then the Ford V6, but the Ford V 6 still outsold it for the reasons above. I believe the T100 was a better truck in many ways, as you will find many with 300 to 400k miles on the original motor and trans, and you will find many of it's competition with less miles in the junk yard IMO

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Friggin govt eh. When I imported my Japanese built Toyota from USA to Canada I had to pay a $200 tax. A USA built Toyota would not have been subject to the tax. That import fee no longer applies

Lon Ross

Friggin govt eh. When I imported my Japanese built Toyota from USA to Canada I had to pay a $200 tax. A USA built Toyota would not have been subject to the tax. That import fee no longer applies
Florida does and interesting thing. My T100 came down from Delaware, so they charge an impact fee for out of state transfer, then a new title fee for the Florida title, a tag fee and 6% sales tax on the selling price. My new tags cost 600 dollars on a twenty nine dollar truck! Got to love the government LOL

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Florida does and interesting thing. My T100 came down from Delaware, so they charge an impact fee for out of state transfer, then a new title fee for the Florida title, a tag fee and 6% sales tax on the selling price. My new tags cost 600 dollars on a twenty nine dollar truck! Got to love the government LOL
In Ontario sales tax is applied to used vehicles. I sold my '68 Firebird in 2007. Taxes from sale of that vehicle over the span of 4 owners was 3x original purchase price. Its only money,,,cant take it with you. When I sold buyer paid around $1800 in tax based on purchase price

Lon Ross

It is funny how "we the people" put up with what ever the government says we must pay. Sales tax is paid on a vehicle here every time it is sold too. So over time, the government gets more in sales tax then the vehicle cost to begin with LOL. The same is true with a beer or cigarettes or anything you buy but food, gas and on and on. The feds charge sin tax, epa tax and so on, then the state adds sales tax to everything in the selling price, including the taxes they already added, so they charge you tax on the tax you pay. I can remember many "temporary" taxes added to gas and other things in my life, to this day, not a one temporary tax has been removed I guess when you put people in power that can just say to everyone, here is what you have to pay, or else, what are you going to do? I love that line in the movie Armageddon when Bruce said, "One more thing, none of them want to pay taxes again, ever" LOL

Related Content You Might Like: