• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Fuel issue, fuel pump and filter good

Newbee to this forum. Over a year ago, during some warm weather, my 2004 Tacoma, 2.7 liter, began having a problem starting. Would either not fire up when cranking or start then stall. Would let it sit and eventually would start and run okay. Then this wouldn't happen for quite some time but could always get it to start until last June, a year later, during some warm weather. Had to be towed home. It will start up temporarily with starter fluid. So I've replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, and fuel pressure regulator. Took the bed off for access to the fuel tank. After installing the new fuel pump I connected it directly to a motorcycle battery and the truck started up and seemed to run just fine. Reconnected to the wiring harness and it ran for a bit then stalled. Tried connecting to the motorcycle battery again it didn't run as before. Next I replaced the fuel pressure regulator. No change.

Possibly related, I've had issues with the Mass Air Flow Sensor. Duriing the Winter rats get into the air filter box and chew on the filter, allowing pieces to enter the intake and hang upon on the MAF sensor. When that happens I disconnect the MAF sensor and able to drive home where I clean it. I'm assuming that if my MAF sensor is bad, from being fiddled with, that if I disconnect it my it shouldn't be the cause of my current problem. I've ordered a repair manual but hoping someone here will have some advice to offer. Odered a fuel pressure regulator frrom Amazon, that doesn't have the right fitting for my truck, so have not yet tested for fuel pressure. Any and all advice very much appreciated.

ok first check the pin connectors in the fuel portion of your wire harness it may be a worn loose or dirty pin inside one of the plugs thats an easy fix and really cheep theres vids online on how to change the pins that number one now number two it could be the o2 sensor in the exhaust there are 2 and they control fuel to the engine if they are giving the wrong code to the computer saying that the engine i running hot and rich the computer will reduce or even stop the flow of fuel to the engine thats number two now number three i see you said you replaced the fuel pump and filter but did you change the sending unit when you did the pump its very rare that the sending unit will last more then a few days after being removed from the tank which you would have done to replace the pump they are very finichy and should always be replaced with the pump i know some people will argue with that but i build theese trucks for a living and worked for toyota for a good while and 9 times out of 10 the sending unit will not last after being remove and messed with just best to replace it with the pump . also could need new map sensor if equipped you can also try forcing the computer to relearn the truck its a verry simple prosess just unhook both battery cables then tape or wire tie them together making sure they make good contact with each other and let them sit for 24 to 48 hours this will drain the stored reserve memory power that is built into the computer and make it so the computer has to relearn the entire system for the truck this should clear all bad codes that the computer might be storing and causing the issue . i hope this gives you some help theese repairs are all some what easy and you should be able to do with out much issue right at home in your driveway or garage .

weston customs, I really appreciate the tips and will make a note of them to keep on hand next time I run into similar issues with my 2004 Tacoma. Turns out I've been remiss in not entering additional comments here to report on how I fixed my problem with my Tacoma not starting. After pulling up the bed, replacing the fuel pump, fuel filter, pressure regulator, and cam position sensor I figured out it was the relay dangling under the steering column. So I learned a lot about my Tacoma in the process and now I have an extra relay in my glove box just in case it happens again. Again, thanks for your help. It may come in real handy in the future.

weston customs, I really appreciate the tips and will make a note of them to keep on hand next time I run into similar issues with my 2004 Tacoma. Turns out I've been remiss in not entering additional comments here to report on how I fixed my problem with my Tacoma not starting. After pulling up the bed, replacing the fuel pump, fuel filter, pressure regulator, and cam position sensor I figured out it was the relay dangling under the steering column. So I learned a lot about my Tacoma in the process and now I have an extra relay in my glove box just in case it happens again. Again, thanks for your help. It may come in real handy in the future.
theres another relay behind the glove box above the blower housing they work in sink at least i believe the 04 still had them just so you know

Related Content You Might Like: