• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Your opinion on nylock nuts

BamaKaren

TTC Chicks
100 Posts
I have a real quick question. I am working on the rear suspension trying to locate a squeak and have removed and reused some nylock nuts (top of rear shock, leaf pack bolts, etc). The thing I want to know is whether I should reuse them. If it's not ok, where do you suggest purchasing them?

SharkRider

100 Posts
I would suggest purchasing new nylock nuts. It is best just to replace everything while you are working on your truck.

Samtucky

100 Posts
It is a good idea to replace nylock nuts every time. Well at least that is what everyone tells me.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Nylock nuts are a one time use item, once the nylon insert has thread grooves it no longer has suitable holding properties when a bolt or screw is threaded in the next time.
A cheap way to make nylock nuts is to take a regular nut and place a zip tie through the center, then thread the bolt/screw in, instant nylock!
If nylock nuts arent available thread locker can be substituted.
Try Home Depot for new nyloc nuts, look for stainless steel hardware since its going under the truck.
For your squeek try this:
lfit the back of the truck by the frame and allow the leaf springs to fan out, hose them out real good with a garden house, make sure you wash all the dirt, grit, and dust out. Lower the truck and drive around to see if this doesnt get rid of the squeek.
Tips to prevent spring squeeks:
Never use any typ lubricant on springs and or bushings, lubricant attracts dirt, dust, and grit causing squeeks between the springs and in the rubber or poly bushings.
Take apart the spring pack and place squares of tephlon between each spring as you reassemble, this allows movement on the tephlon but not metal on metal which causes squeeks. Again never oil!!

suncomb1

Use new Nylock SS nuts every time. My truck is 31 years old and no squeaks. I have urethane bushings everywhere and grease fittings on my spring bushings. I use Mobil 1 grease on my springs.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
They're cheap. Get new ones when you have to change them. Never thought about using another agent like a quick tie. That's pretty cool.

James

100 Posts
Some good stuff here. I can see why changing nylock nuts every time is a good idea.

Related Content You Might Like: