• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Wind Noise at 50 mph, 2013 tacoma std cab 4x2

Stitch

Hello Everyone

I hope that all is well with everyone!! I have a 2013 tacoma std cab 4x2with 5765 miles on her. I like the truck alot, but at 50 mph or so, I get a whistle type of noise coming from my front hood area Maybe!! Could be from the mirrors. I took it to my dealer, No help at all, they drove it, But they could not hear it. Happens all the time.
Would anybody here have a fix or have you heard this from anybody else? I want to Thank you for your time on this matter.

Take Care

Stitch

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah. That's not normal. One of the weatherstrips is not working properly or something. Is it coming from below the windscreen?

Stitch

Update. I taped up the front part of where the grill and hood meets, and the whistle noise did stop. so now I have to go to my dealer and get them to do something about it. Wish me luck.
Stitch

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Update. I taped up the front part of where the grill and hood meets, and the whistle noise did stop. so now I have to go to my dealer and get them to do something about it. Wish me luck.
Stitch
Really? Are they any mods made to the grille or to the hood? That's really odd that you get a whistle at that point and not someplace else. My guess is that the hood or something is misshapen.

Also, what type of tape did you use? How much? Upload a photo if you can, I'd like to see it.

Stitch

Hello Everyone

Thanks for getting back with me, sorry it took so long for me to get back with you guys, I used blue painters tape and put it on the front were the hood and grill meets, there is a TSB report from Toyota about this. I am going to try to take a pic and show you guys. As soon as I put it on the wind noise stopped, and no matter what speed I drive. Now the trouble is getting my dealer { Jones Junction} To fix it. I have been there three times and I just get the run around. Plus I have a low idle when I am in drive with the brakes applied, the idle goes so low the truck shakes real bad, take my foot off of the brake the idle goes up!!

Thanks again.
Take Care

Stitch

Stitch

Here is what I did to fix the wind noise whislte. as soon as I tape it up, it has not done it at all??? Look up the Toyota TBS wind noise on the net. There is a fix from Toyota, it is a new grill. Now it is getting my dealer ship to do something for me after the sale. Been there 3 times. Nothing yet!!
Hope it helps someone else, with the same trouble.
077.JPG

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
wow, that's something you don't see everyday. I wonder what is the cause of this noise issue. Do they use a different type of grill or hood in the US?

I wonder if there's something about the aerodynamics of the bumper or something that is just for the us or who knows.

I guess they can't get it right all the time in design and this is one of those things hard to figure out ahead of time.

Stitch

Not really. They know what the trouble is, it is just getting toyota to do something about it, its not hard to figure out, I know the fix and so does toyota, they have had trouble with this for 5 plus years. It is were the hood and grill meets.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Is it a high pitched sound or what? Not everyone can hear every frequency of sound.

Stitch

It is like you have the side window down just a hair, It is a whistle sound. Everyone that has been in the truck, as soon as I hit about 50mph it starts and the people try to roll the window up tighter. They look around and say what is that sound, that whistle. On a winding day it is so loud that you can hear it over the radio. I know, Crazy huh!!
I do Thank you for your time on this.
Happy Easter Everyone!!!!
Stitch

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
lol, that's got to be super annoying. Wonder what (or if) they are doing for a fix for it.

Stitch

lol, Yes Sir it does!! My dogs just look at the window and turn there head side to side, Like what is the noise, I was happy to have found the trouble. The TBS page said that a New grill is needed to fix the issue., So I am going to the dealership to get the recall of the brakes fix and try to get them to ride with me, then once they hear it, I should not have a trouble getting it fix. I Hope!!! I like my truck, But the wind noise and the idle issue, just gets old. I will keep you updated,
Take care
Stitch

marty

I own a 2014 double cab and am going crazy with a whistle sound that seems to be coming from my driver side door. I believe it's the seal rattling around at high speeds. The seal doesn't look like it's installed properly as there is a bough toward the front part of the seal which creates a pocket.

Very easy to produce the sound at 75 mph on a calm day, but on a windy day, driving against the wind, it's constant above 60 mph. So annoying and hoping to hear of a fix.

Stitch

Update! Thanks again everyone, for your feed back. I think I fix my wind noise issue. It was from the hood grill meeting ! The rubber gasket under the hood is to soft. So I put a One fourth inch cable, Inside the rubber gasket. and it give it a better seal, and as of two days now, it has not been any whistle wind noise at all!!???? I will get a pic of what I did. I did tape the front grill first and the wind noise stop also, so that is what gave me the rubber gasket idea, being to soft!! So now the only thing I have to get Toyota to fix is the shuddering when i stop and the low idle!!

Thanks again everyone one.

Stitch

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Update! Thanks again everyone, for your feed back. I think I fix my wind noise issue. It was from the hood grill meeting ! The rubber gasket under the hood is to soft. So I put a One fourth inch cable, Inside the rubber gasket. and it give it a better seal, and as of two days now, it has not been any whistle wind noise at all!!???? I will get a pic of what I did. I did tape the front grill first and the wind noise stop also, so that is what gave me the rubber gasket idea, being to soft!! So now the only thing I have to get Toyota to fix is the shuddering when i stop and the low idle!!

Stitch
Well, at least you got it fixed. Take a pic of that like you mentioned and post it to this thread so that other people who are having the same issues can see what you did and maybe can replicate it and/or come up with something similar.

Brad

100 Posts

Stitch
Glad to hear you fixed it!

Related Content You Might Like: