• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Who's got a Toyota crawler?

GearHead

100 Posts
Please post pictures of your rig in this thread! Feel free to discuss anything crawler/off-road related here as well.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Heres one my 99 Tacoma after a rainy weekend of camping.
taco aft marshall crk 3.jpg
This pictures about 7 years old and she's undergone many changes since then. For some reason I cant get any of my newer pictures to attach.

Last edited:

GearHead

100 Posts
Heres one my 99 Tacoma after a rainy weekend of camping.
View attachment 643
This pictures about 7 years old and she's undergone many changes since then. For some reason I cant get any of my newer pictures to attach.
She looks like a sweet rig. What kind of tires you have on it? What changes have you made since?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
In that picture she has 32" Pro Comp M/T's and a 3" lift, she was basically stock at 4 yrs old and almost 50K miles.
She was my daily driver while I was on active duty, about a year after that picture I retired and bought a new Suburban and a Harley Sportster, after that she became a garage queen and started getting modified as full on crawler.

Since that picture additions have been:
Outlaw black steel wheels with 35" Pro Comp all terrains
4" more suspension lift
Demello rock sliders
Custom spare tire carrier attached to the Demello bed bar
Marlin Crawler dual stick T-case
ARB air lockers Frt and rr, swapped the frt diff and half shafts for beefier aftermarket items
ARB air compressor and tank with hose connections at frt/rr mounted in the tool box
Portable winch connections frt/rr
Porta Power mig welding system
TRD Supercharger
URD 7th injector system with custom fabbed Bosche air/alchohol/fuel mix injection system
TRD headers with stainless steel exhaust
Custom cold air intake system
URD ignition coils and wires
Milled heads and Stainless steel valves
Frt and rr bias valves for locking either set of brakes
And theres a long list of smaller items I'm forgetting
Presently she's lounging in the side yard waiting a decision on what to do with her, I built up another 91 Toyota crawler that was to replace her on the trail but in the process kinda lost interest/time to go out wheeling every weekend.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
This the 99 Tacoma at "The Falls" in Katemcy Tx spring of 05.
2222.jpg
This pictures from a trip to Ca. summer 09. We trailered the Tacoma and the 91 to Pismo beach then the next week up to The Rubicon for Toyota's on the Rocks.
2880jumpin__devil_s_slide2.jpg
This is how my 91 looked when I found her in 07, two days later she was still stuck and the owner couldnt get her out, I offered him $600, he took it and never looked back. About 9 mos. later I ran across the guy again stuck in the same mud hole in a newer Jeep Wrangler. Some people never learn.
red & wht stuck in sand.jpg
And heres the build list on my 91, which I might add is still for sale and can be bought at a greatly reduced price if anyones interested and has cash!
Competition Toyota rock crawler built in 2007.
Cab/bed and title: 1991 Toyota Deluxe 4x4 inspected and registered in TX.
Frame: 2007 Mastersbilt late model race car tube chasis, modified with integrated rollcage, bed cage, front crossmembers, and trans/T case cross members.
Running gear: Yanmar Marine 4cyl diesel direct injected rebuilt to run on Bio Diesel fuel, Garrett turbocharger and intercooler system, Bosch water injection system, 4 row modine radiator.
GM 2 spd powerglide trans with performance shift kit.
Dual atlas transfer cases.
Pro Rock dana 60 FRT/RR axles cut down with 5.29 gears and ARB lockers.
Suspension: 4 link heim jointed, stacked Firestone 500C air bags at each corner independantly controlled by 5 in cab regulators. 23" of suspension travel depending on air bag pressure being run.
FRT/RR Line locked hydraulic brake system with wildwood disks and 4 piston calipers.
Baer 2 piston caliper Parking brake disk on FRT/RR driveshafts.
Stockton wheel 18X12 bead locked wheels with GoodYear 18x40 military chevron pattern tires.
Interior: 2 Racemaster padded competition bucket seats with 5 point cage attached harness's.
Full competition cage with side supports, extra roof supports, dash bar, and R/R cab bar.
Power windows, A/C, JVC Marine CD player with 4 Pioneer Marine 6X9 speakers.
Electrical system built with all Marine components fully water proof, dual Optima blue top batterys.
Frt and RR Ramsey REP12K winch's operated from in cab controls or 20' remote's.
Premier onboard MIG welder, VIA Air onboard air compressor with 2 10 GL air tanks, dual Premier Power alternators wired to a Progressivedyn power invertor capable of supplying 110 and 220 voltage.
Odometer mileage: 1473
Color: 2007 Ford Deep metal flake blue on body, chassis 2006 Porsche metal flake silver, repainted 3 months ago.
Interior: Seats/dash/door panels Ford Blue, everything else Porsche Silver.
Full autometer oil filled gauges in custom aluminium dash.

GearHead

100 Posts
Hah, I'd say you customized things just a bit! Those pics are awesome, especially the one at The Falls. Great stuff. We have a lot of similar rock courses here in CA.

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

What branch of the service were you in?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
U.S. Navy 22 yrs.
Yea I started off-roading in Ca. as a kid, I used to run the Rubicon with my older brother at least once every summer, he started out with a 53 Jeep Wagon then sold it to build a custom 46 Ford 4x4 Dually that he ended up trading for a 76 Toyota 4x4 Wolverine.
He was an amatuer gold miner and would travel all over the Sierra's on weekends panning, we spent a lot of time around Plumas Nat. forest, Tahoe Nat. forest, and up into the Lassen area good times back then in the late 70's and early 80's.

GearHead

100 Posts
That's a long time in the Navy! The off-roading here probably hasn't changed much, although I wasn't around for it back then. The 46 Ford must have been fun to own, too bad he doesn't have it now...

I have a friend who pans for gold frequently, but he doesn't ever seem to find much-- I think it's more about just getting out there and doing it than actually finding anything, maybe like fishing in a way.

I spend a lot of time in the Stanislaus National Forest during the spring and summer wheeling, backpacking and hunting for morel mushrooms. Lots of fun to be had. What brought you to Texas?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
We've been to Ca. a few times over the years and brought different trucks we owned out to wheel. Our last trip in 09 when we trailered the Tacoma and the 91 out for "Toyotas on the Con", broke both trucks in 24hrs and had to finish the trail with my sister in-law in her new FJ Cruiser.
The biggest change to the wheeling spots I used to play in is they're either closed off or theirs now a house or buisness sitting on them.

About 8 years ago when my nephew was 16 looking for his first car my brother managed to find the 46 Ford and buy it back from the present owner, it'd been sitting for a few years and was in rough shape, they started a father/son rebuild on it and halfway through my nephew lost interest and decided to buy early 80's Z cars, that are still sitting in the back yard, my brother finished building the truck by himself. Now it's a custom 2wd dually built for weekend cruising and car shows.

I'd bet in over a hundred trips we found less than an 1/8th ounce of gold, not enough to ever make a living. Crawling around the mines and riverbeds we did manage to find and bring home tons of old equipt. for mining, farming, etc. some from as early as the 1700's, my brothers an engineer so old equipt. interested him, with the recent interest in antiques some of the stuff he saved over the years has value to it.

Yea we visited the Stanislaus a few times, pretty much the whole region from the Oregon state line to lower Baja and western Nv. to the ocean. Ca. has lots to offer if your into the outdoors, I remember in the 70's my dad taking us to a different lake or river every weekend and never going to the same one twice in a summer.

I retired from the Navy in Fort Worth Tx., the wife didnt want to go back to Sacto. to live near her family (to much drama, home prices to expensive) and I had no preference where we ended up we decided DFW was as good a place as any. Not long after retiring here 2 friends I grew up with moved to the area with their employers.

GearHead

100 Posts
Too bad the FJ out-wheeled the pickups, although I could see why as it is much shorter and more maneuverable. It's too bad that there is so much sprawl here now, seems like the developments were taking over every inch for a while, although that has slowed now. There are still plenty of trails left. Sac has its perks but I much prefer the mountains. Pretty cool that some friends ended up there, what are the odds? How is the job market in that area?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I wouldnt say the FJ outwheeled the trucks, she took by-passes on the rough parts where I broke both trucks. But FJ's are pretty impressive right off the showroom floor.

The economy stopped a lot of construction and many lots slated for builds are now in limbo as owners go bankrupt, my family has a trust from our parents with a lot of land around Sacramento, Georgetown, and Auburn, most of the properties are only worth a small percentage of what they were 10-15 years ago. Thats ok we werent planning on selling or building anything for a long time.

The job market isnt as bad as a lot of other places, yea theres many that are unemployed but some of them are professional unemployee's and would've been out of work even in a good economy. My wife spent 63 days unemployed this summer, she didnt start back at her previous pay rate and position but she did find work and she had quite a few offers to choose from.

Yea it was cool to have childhood friends live near by, but were all so busy with work and familys we rarely get together.

GearHead

100 Posts
Yeah I got caught in the crash, was working for a construction company at the time, and it's been pretty tough here ever since, although there is SOME work, just for much less pay and usually not what I'd like to be doing, but gotta take what comes around I suppose.

Lot of empty lots out there for sure, definitely sit on them a while.

You like the way the FJ handles? I have yet to drive one...

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I've driven a few, my sister In-laws which at the time was fully outfitted with an OME 6" lift, a couple bone stock brand new FJ's at a Toyota dealership a friend of mine is regional manager for, and an Ivan Stewart Special Edition with every TRD part made on it.
I prefer either the OME equiped FJ or a stock one, the Ivan Stewart model had tons of HP but getting it to the street in a useful manner was another story. Nice trucks but the price tag is a little to much for me.

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Yeah I got caught in the crash, was working for a construction company at the time, and it's been pretty tough here ever since, although there is SOME work, just for much less pay and usually not what I'd like to be doing, but gotta take what comes around I suppose.

Lot of empty lots out there for sure, definitely sit on them a while.

You like the way the FJ handles? I have yet to drive one...
If you do any type road work that buisiness is booming out here right now, all other construction work is dead.

We wont sell any property for a while, none of us can to get together and agree on what to do. Which is fine by me because I while I could always use the extra money I dont really need it right now and I suspect Uncle Sam would just find a way to take most of it away in taxes.

GearHead

100 Posts
I'll have to find someone with an FJ to play with. Yeah, I did residential construction, the worst kind for the market now.

antonino

100 Posts
Wow, great pics. Too bad, I don't want my rig get mud on it. i love it, and I don't want any dents and scratches to it.

Related Content You Might Like: