• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Who Knows Trees? Possible Dead Red Oak And Magnolia

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
HELP ME SAVE MY TREES!

With the weird heat wave that hit North Texas in July and peaked with a 107 F temperature, my trees didn't get enough water (had a broken pipe so was without my sprinkler system for maybe 3 weeks) and looks like it did a lot of damage before it cooled off into the 80's with a lot of rain.

Remember this is for North Texas planting zone. There is also a slight possibility that run-off from my neighbor's (who moved out and left junk in the backyard)

#1 - MAGNOLIA TURNED BROWN

Do Magnolia trees turn brown without dying? I've read briefly that the Magnolia can be shocked and the leaves will turn brown, but that doesn't mean that the whole tree is dead. However, at least 95% of the tree is brown.

I did notice that the rock-border I put around the tree did look good, but it also trapped in all of the old leaves, so it's possible that there was very little water getting into the dirt directly below the tree. I've cleaned that off and will try to keep it clean from now on.

Also, notice there is still some green left? I've been watering like crazy recently now that we're back into 100+ F temps, so hopefully that can keep those alive.

Should I expect this tree to survive? Thoughts?

20160826_130918.jpg
20160826_130931.jpg
20160826_130940.jpg
20160826_130944.jpg

#2 - RED OAK KEEPS WILTING AND BRANCHES DIE IN HEAT.

What about this Red Oak tree that keeps having problems? I think it was not getting enough water and I'm going to plan to run a straight line here from an unused valve in my sprinkler system (I have two unused valves that can be programmed as new zones).

How much water should one of these trees take in the heat of the summer? This is fully exposed most of the day and 1/2 of the tree died about 2 or 3 years ago and I hit this hard with water when I noticed about 1/3 of the leaves fell off and most of the remaining leaves turned brown about 3 weeks ago.

Since I hit with with a lot of water, it seems to be holding it's own.

20160826_130738.jpg
20160826_130727.jpg
20160826_130715.jpg
20160826_130705.jpg

Thoughts?

upatree64

North Texas may be a stretch for the Magnolia but I don't think your tree's, either one, are dead at all.. They are in shock and the Magnolia usually fair's better in a hot humid atmosphere, more like east Texas, La., Miss. and the rest of the south east. The young oak will be fine next year or sooner but the Magnolia may take some loving on to bring it back.
Take a pocket knife to one of the branch's half between the trunk and the end of the limb and make a small scratch or cut. You'll be able to see if there is life left in the tree but if it's brown inside and dry that is usually bad news. If it is brown and dry try several place before giving up on it.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
North Texas may be a stretch for the Magnolia but I don't think your tree's, either one, are dead at all.. They are in shock and the Magnolia usually fair's better in a hot humid atmosphere, more like east Texas, La., Miss. and the rest of the south east. The young oak will be fine next year or sooner but the Magnolia may take some loving on to bring it back.
Take a pocket knife to one of the branch's half between the trunk and the end of the limb and make a small scratch or cut. You'll be able to see if there is life left in the tree but if it's brown inside and dry that is usually bad news. If it is brown and dry try several place before giving up on it.
On the magnolia ... the extreme ends of the branches are dead and they crack. Closer to the trunk they appear to be green and at least show some signs of life.

The red oak had already responded to heavy watering and already looks healthier.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
On the magnolia ... the extreme ends of the branches are dead and they crack. Closer to the trunk they appear to be green and at least show some signs of life.

The red oak had already responded to heavy watering and already looks healthier.
Wonder if u should prune the magnolia or not.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I just read up and believe the magnolia has sunscald. Seems to be in line with the trees presentation.

Preventing Sunscald
Sunscald usually occurs during hot, dry weather. Also called leaf scorch, it is caused by a lack of moisture in the leaves. Water evaporates from the leaves in a process called transpiration. As it evaporates, it is rapidly replaced as the plant absorbs and distributes water. If the weather is very hot and sunny, however, the water sometimes evaporates more quickly than it can be replaced. One way to prevent this is to locate the magnolia where it will be protected from the sun during the hottest part of the day. Another way is to make sure its roots stay protected; magnolias with injured or diseased roots won't be able to absorb water very quickly.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/magnolia-bush-brown-leaves-sun-exposure-95441.html

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Sucks that you had a magnolia that might die, those things grow very slowly. The Red oak not so much, that should grow a few feet per year with proper conditions, but the Magnolia takes a decade to get a lot of size to it.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Had the sprinkler line pop again. I think that the city of Arlington has increased the water pressure because of the high lake levels.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I'm also pretty much convinced that that tree location in the front is probably filled with constructure junk preverting the trees from thriving.

Related Content You Might Like: