• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Visual Inspection Advice When Looking To Buy A Used Truck?

Blue9

Hi - New guy here, thinking of buying a '75-'80 pickup. In fact, I may be looking at a '78 while on vacation this weekend. I'm a little nervous about the thought of buying an old vehicle and then having to drive it 200 miles to get it home. I was wondering if any of you could provide me with some advice on what to look for during a visual inspection.

Thanks!

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Hi - New guy here, thinking of buying a '75-'80 pickup. In fact, I may be looking at a '78 while on vacation this weekend. I'm a little nervous about the thought of buying an old vehicle and then having to drive it 200 miles to get it home. I was wondering if any of you could provide me with some advice on what to look for during a visual inspection.

Thanks!
Anything of that vintage really just comes down to more than just what you see on the surface. First, try to get this history of the truck as far back as you can. Then, obviously look for things like rust and anything clearly wrong, but you're going to have to get under it and check out things like the steering, brakes and suspension first. Check the fluid levels, check for leaks around the common gaskets. See if there's any smoke upon start-up, see how well it drives under a load, etc.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Along with the above advise: Look at the ground under engine/transmission/rear end for oil puddles. If any found, most likely a indication of leaks. If they are trying to clean up leaks the ground will give it away. After complete look over, start engine while cold and test drive. When you get back check over drivetrain again for leaks. Good luck.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I think the advice to test it under a load is good advice. A buddy bought a late 70s blazer in the mid 90s, it had a fairly fresh 350 added in the previous 6 months or so and it looked great, well kept up, etc.

Started up fine, ran great, drove decently. However after he bought it hooked up a uhaul trailer for a move and the engine bogged down under a heavy load. I think he toyed with it for a day to get it to run right, but we think it was a combination of off issues that just killed performance when towing, ended up throwing a rod through the side of the engine a week or two later, he scraped the engine and got his own junk yard rebuild to swap and it ran for another decade.

Not sure where I'm going with this, just take time to really check out the vehicle under as close to the conditions that you're going to drive it.

Blue9

Thanks for the advice! I haven't yet heard back from the seller, but this is all good advice for whenever I end up finding a truck worth taking a look at. Typically I wouldn't look at a vehicle 100s of miles away from home - I just happen to be headed to the area where this truck is located, and from the pics it looks to be in good condition so I figured I might take a look.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts

Thanks!
Do you have a link that you can post here so we can take a look at the truck?

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Also, you may have mentioned it, but are you looking at driving this home or two-wheel/four-wheel towing home?

Blue9

I didn't end up taking a look at the truck. I was hard-pressed to find time in my Memorial Day weekend, and I'm pretty sure the truck sold that weekend anyway.
I'll be keeping my eye on craigslist though!

upatree64

I didn't end up taking a look at the truck. I was hard-pressed to find time in my Memorial Day weekend, and I'm pretty sure the truck sold that weekend anyway.
I'll be keeping my eye on craigslist though!
is there a reason you're looking at the 70's model's? I mean Toyota made huge huge leaps n bounds during the 80's with introducing the 22R and 22RE [fuel injection] but kept the straight axle on the 4x4's for a little while. I believe you're gonna find the 70's model 20r a little under powered for you. unless you're just looking for a 4 speed putt-around truck and I know guy's that like that.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Whenever I look at a used car or truck, I looking over the car - truck as mentioned here.Then I pop the hood. I look at all the fluids. Trans should be red and not smell burnt, unless it is a manual trans. The radiator should have green or red fluid, not rust. The engine oil should be brownish, not dark black, or gray. The power steering fluid, should be yellow, or red. After that, I have whoever comes with me, watch the tail pipe when I start the engine. No smoke is good. After it runs for a few seconds, I rev it to 1200 to 1500 RPMs and listing for knocks. Then to 2500, 3500 RPMs. Not holding any of the revs for long. All the while my helper is watching the tail pipe for smoke. When driving the car - truck, I press the brakes to load the engine in each gear while pressing the gas. No need to hold for long, just long enough to see if the trans is slipping, and the engine is taking the load. A few seconds is all you need. The more I can find wrong with it, the better price I can buy it for, if there is nothing major.

Last edited:

upatree64

Holy Smokes Blue9, these guys are wise beyond belief. I would take every drop of info these good folks give ya and live by them from now on.. I know that even though I've purchased many Toyota's in my past that I've gained new insight just by following this post.. wow, I'm impressed, it gives me comfort to know I can have trusted people to lean on when I make my next purchase.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I agree upatree64, there's plenty of good info and advise here to help anyone make a wise decision.

Blue9

Wow - thanks for the additional advice, guys! Hopefully I'll be able to put it to use one of these days.

is there a reason you're looking at the 70's model's? I mean Toyota made huge huge leaps n bounds during the 80's with introducing the 22R and 22RE [fuel injection] but kept the straight axle on the 4x4's for a little while. I believe you're gonna find the 70's model 20r a little under powered for you. unless you're just looking for a 4 speed putt-around truck and I know guy's that like that.
There's a few reasons why I've been looking at the mid-late 70s models.
1 - The price. I've seen a few posted to craigslist for under $2K that, from descriptions and photos seemed to be in good condition.

2 - The simplicity. I'm (obviously) not the most mechanically inclined. But looking at pictures of the engine bay I feel like I could fix anything that needs fixing...after someone helps me diagnose the problem! I've done a bit of work on an old Audi I use to have, but I wouldn't feel comfortable working on a modern car. But I'd like to have a 2nd vehicle that I could work on.

3 - The looks. I really like the way those '70s trucks look. I think the size is perfect for my needs - I don't need to haul much, and I don't have anything I need to tow. At most I might put my motorcycle in the bed. But mostly I'd use it to pick up light gauged steel from the steel yard, and transport moderately sized sculptures. Maybe sleep in the back on some lazy summer road trip down the coast or over to the desert.

Also, it seems like a lot of these trucks have already had an engine swap and have the 22R.

But I'm not only looking at 70s models. My search includes trucks up to 1987. That year has nothing to do with Toyota, it's the upper age parameter I use for a few other cars I search for and just keep it in for my truck search.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, those are good and common reasons for someone with technical and mechanical skills to seek an older car/truck.

Dollar for dollar, when you don't factor in your own time because it's at least part hobby, it's the cheapest way to drive each month.

Related Content You Might Like: