• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Toyota Truck Speedometer Cable Lubrication

big t

i'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this question under, but here goes. i have a 1989 toyota ext cab 4x4 pickup with the 2re motor and the speedometer cable is making a lot of noise. is there any way to lubricate it? i checked in my haynes manual, but i didn't find anything about it. any help would be appreciated.

tom

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

sorry, 22re motor,(typo)

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
how much does it cost to replace it? How many miles on it? I'm not sure, but I think I've got a friend that has his go out some number of years ago (like mid-90's - and it was a mid-80's Toyota). The first thing he heard was noise and then it frayed up and snapped or something.

You could try to take it apart and turn it yourself to see if it makes any noise. Maybe go to a boneyard and see if they'll let you have one for cheap or order one on ebay if you can get one.

GearHead

100 Posts
Hmmm. Yeah not sure how to fix it other than just replacing the thing. Please let us know when you get it figured out so we can pass the information on. I have a 1987 4x4 myself, with a 22R engine, so I may end up dealing with the same issue eventually.

antonino

100 Posts
If it's the cable that makes a lot of noise, most probably it already snapped. You have to replace it. I think a cable won't really cost that much.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
i'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this question under, but here goes. i have a 1989 toyota ext cab 4x4 pickup with the 2re motor and the speedometer cable is making a lot of noise. is there any way to lubricate it? i checked in my haynes manual, but i didn't find anything about it. any help would be appreciated.

tom

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

sorry, 22re motor,(typo)

Hi! any updates here how did you get this figured out? Did you replace the Speedometer Cable?

Related Content You Might Like: