• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Suspension?

bullfrog

So I am not sure I am even in the right place, but I sure hope so. I am a long time Toyota fan, and now drive a 2012 4runner Trail. I love it! Anyway it is modified somewhat: ARB bumper, with hi-lift jack mounts, 6" IPF lights, Smittybilt XRC 9500 winch, Yakima Mega-Warrior roof rack, Maxxus sand ladders, BFG All Terrain Ko2's 265/70/17 LR C, Shrockworks Full Steel 5 skid plate set, Shrockworks sliders, ARB on board compressor, Supreme suspension 2.5" aluminum spacer lift, with differential drop kit, rear poly spring spacers.
I have felt alot of "dip" in the front, and very "mushy/erratic" "bottoms out" off road. I typically wheel it at Rausch Creek, PA Green trails. My inclination is to get the Old Man Emu 3" lift kit (includes front shocks, 3mm spacer, heavy duty spring set. Rear shocks, and medium duty springs. My dilemma is I drive alot to commute, and travel so it needs to be as comfortable as possible to ride. That being said it needs to be tough, and in the future maybe even rear bumper/tire carrier in addition to what is already there. Another question is how much is too much? I called ARB USA and explained my set up and they advised the setup i listed above by Old Man Emu. I asked about my already installed Supreme kit, and he assured me it would be fine to install the OME setup in addition to what I already have therefore increasing my lift even more...approx 4.0" overall?I then called my vendor of choice and they suggested Heavy springs front and rear, and that I should remove the Supreme kit entirely, and no mention of diff drop? I am confused and Im sure there are different schools of thought on this.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
This is only my opinion, but I would definitely remove your spacer lift during installation of the OME lift. The 3" lift should be more than appropriate for your off-road use. However, my neighbor had a complete 3" OME lift & suspension added to his FJ Cruiser, and I thought the ride really got rough. But, it was superb off-road and gave him no trouble.

As a side note, we traded a 2014 4Runner Trail for the 2015 Land Cruiser you see in my Avatar. Our Trail had the KDSS suspension. I test drove a SR5 4Runner and a Trail (KDSS) back-to-back, and the KDSS totally eliminated the front-end "dip" when braking, and also significantly reduced body roll when cornering on pavement. KDSS has it's own issues (like reduced ground clearance--I had to add some spacers), but we sure liked how the Trail drove, both on and off-road. BTW- the LC also has KDSS, and I doubt I will buy another vehicle I intend to use off-road that doesn't have KDSS.

Related Content You Might Like: