• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Sticking clutch pedal

lakeside

I have a 2009 Tacoma (with 50k miles on the clock) with a standard shift that started experiencing a stuck clutch pedal and hard starting. I live in a cold climate where road salt is used. Over the course of the past few months the clutch pedal would sometimes stick and I'd have to reach down and pull the pedal back. Than I started having a hard time starting the truck as the clutch safety interlock wouldn't disengage. I'd have to push really hard against the firewall to get the clutch far enough down enough so the starter would engage. I took it in to the dealer on Friday and the work order stated: "clutch slave pivot seized into the clutch fork. Remove slave clean rust and grease slave and fork for proper operation"

I believe this is a safety issue as the last time it happened I was on the freeway and had to move all the way over to the right hand shoulder to be able to safely reach down to pull the clutch pedal back.

Has anyone else had the same or similar problem?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Ive seen the problem before on this gen Tacoma and previous gen Tacoma's.
Its not a widespread problem, only happens on trucks operated in areas where salt is used.
Yes it is a safety hazard, something that owners should be tàking a look at when or if they start having clutch issues.
Theirs a clutch pedal return spring under there also, these have been known to break and stop clutch pedal return. Again an item that requires some owner maintenance once in a while.

lakeside

I live in eastern Ontario where road salt is a fact of life. Transport Canada has a web site which allows operators/owners to register complaints which could effect safety. I went in this morning and raised a complaint. Mind, the repair only cost me an hour's worth of labour but the consequences of a sticking clutch pedal on a major highway could have been catastrophic. My wife was also giving my a hard time so I don't know what was worse, causing an accident or having SWMBO nag at me. ;-)

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I live in Northwestern Ontario where they salt the salt! I spray my vehicles twice a year underside,under hood as well as drilling holes in rocker panels and door bottoms to spray this product. This stuff creeps everywhere inside your panels,,up the pillars and doors. You are likely aware you could also spray the affected area with one of the aerosol products such as Rust Check(dominion sureseal product) available at C Tire
http://www.bodyshopsuppliesforless....L_NO_DRIP_RUSTPROOFING_5_GALLON-55520-87.html

Nagging wife??? Treat 'em just like you would anyone else(roadside cop, boss, knowitalls) who is grinding your stones,,just agree with them and they shut up...

Related Content You Might Like: