• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Speaking Of Scratches...

awonderingdawn

TTC Chicks
Following PaleoMama's thread- I'm curious, how do you repair your own scratches? I've seen a ton of techniques online, and I know it depends on the depth of the scratch what part of the car it's on/ the temperature outside/ the climate you're repairing in/ etc. But how have YOU repaired scratches in the past if you've chosen to go the DIY route.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Our 4Runner gets more rock chips than scratches, and I just use Toyota touch-up paint that you can buy from your dealer. Other brands of touch-up paint from parts stores don't adhere nearly as well as the factory paint. Just use the smallest amount of paint to fill the chip/scratch. You can then use polishing compound to smooth out the finish, but that may remove too much of the touch-up paint. Work on small stuff first until you get results you're happy with.

awonderingdawn

TTC Chicks
Our 4Runner gets more rock chips than scratches, and I just use Toyota touch-up paint that you can buy from your dealer. Other brands of touch-up paint from parts stores don't adhere nearly as well as the factory paint. Just use the smallest amount of paint to fill the chip/scratch. You can then use polishing compound to smooth out the finish, but that may remove too much of the touch-up paint. Work on small stuff first until you get results you're happy with.
Awesome, thanks for that detailed response RickC5. How long does it typically take for that factory touch-up paint to dry?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
If you prep it right, using the touch up paint should dry fully in just a couple of hours, not sure about the cure time as it's really only good for very small scratches and rock chips and you'll always have a mismatch with the clearcoat (well, usually) when using this technique.

Here's a cool looking product that I just came across.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Haha, love this guy. He says to use WD40 to fix scratches on your car.

awonderingdawn

TTC Chicks
We tried it and unfortunately it didn't work. It made the car look shiney and clean- but it definitely didn't buff out scratches. She has a red car, though- and he did do this on black paint. Maybe the paint color makes a difference? Needless to say, it didn't work for us. *sad face.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Oh, shucks! Just when I thought WD-40 might actually be good for something besides "Water Displacement, Formula #40" (the actual, unabbreviated name for the product, which was developed to keep bare steel from rusting as it was being transported). Folks use it for lots of things though. But, it isn't a lubricant, so never try to use it as one.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
one of those internet videos i guess. i might give it a try myself actually.

Related Content You Might Like: