• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Shocks/struts 99 Tacoma Prerunner

zukester

Hi:

I have a Two door, tine, single cab 1999 Toy Taco. I need to replace the front struts and was trying to find them on Rock Auto, but they have zero customer service numbers or emails (I sent one to an email of theirs, no reply). My brother recommended getting them there to save money.

The problem is, all I see is 4WD, (except) RWD, ALL WHEEL DRIVE and I think mine is one wheel drive? Not a mechanic myself, but can work on cars if I need to-and I need to. Does it not matter? If I do not see it listed, can I assume that any one of the RWD will fit? If it is that hard to get a hold of anyone, I do not want to order it wrong and have to contact them to send it back.

Typical Search Results:

Front Left; 4WD; DLX Model; SR5 Model; Except Xtracab and off road package and RWD
Front Left; 4WD; Strut, Spring & Top Mount

Thanks in Advance,
Zukester

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Hi:

I have a Two door, tine, single cab 1999 Toy Taco. I need to replace the front struts and was trying to find them on Rock Auto, but they have zero customer service numbers or emails (I sent one to an email of theirs, no reply)............
May want to give this a try:

RockAuto, LLC
6418 Normandy Lane
Suite 100
Madison, WI 53719
1-608-661-1376
[email protected]

This is where I found it: About Us

zukester

I emailed that email......no response. I tried the number.......

"For English", please press 0...........I press "0" "I'm sorry, that is not a valid response." When I finally wait and get through it is all automated and loops you ONLY back to the web site.

No message can be left. I wish!

GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Zukester

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I emailed that email......no response. I tried the number.......

"For English", please press 0...........I press "0" "I'm sorry, that is not a valid response." When I finally wait and get through it is all automated and loops you ONLY back to the web site.

No message can be left. I wish!

GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Zukester

Sorry to hear that. I didn't actually try the contact methods since I never purchased from them. Sounds like their communication methods are in need of some updating. Maybe someone else will have a tried and true way to get in contact with them.

zukester

What I am thinking is that this is why they are inexpensive, which is fine if you know what exact part you need. My brother has bought a lot of things from them without any issues. I just do not want to hassle with contacting them for a return.

Zukester

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I agree - it's one way to keep cost down. I hear of quite a few people purchasing from RockAuto without issue. The key will be, as you said, is to know exactly what you need. Let us know if you decide to order and how it turns out.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Hi:

I have a Two door, tine, single cab 1999 Toy Taco.
Just re-read your OP in this thread, what did you mean, "Two door, tine ..." tine? Is that an abbreviation for something? Maybe I need another cup of coffee.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Just re-read your OP in this thread, what did you mean, "Two door, tine ..." tine? Is that an abbreviation for something? Maybe I need another cup of coffee.
I was guessing maybe auto correct helped out on this...........but I'm getting another cup coffee anyway!

zukester

Uh, it was not you. TINY. I did not see my bad typing. Single cab, tiny Toyota Tacoma. Still no solid answer from Rock Auto. a week of emails. THey are getting worse with the answers and questions back now....

Zukester

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Posting a little late, but, what caught my eye was you stated your truck is a "PreRunner", if is in deed a factory PreRunner then your front Suspension is the same as a 4wd of that year.
Replacement shocks/struts will be the exact same ones used on a 4wd.
I recommend when you buy new shock/struts look at those that have replacement coil springs included.
Your present springs are progressive rate springs, if you were to compare them with new springs your find they've collapsed somewhere between 2 to 4 inches over the years. Toyota progressive rate springs which were found on TRD and PreRunner trucks were terrible about collapsing.
And yes you can use standard rate springs as a replacement with no problems.
You could even get a 2" left combo to level the truck. Something like the Rancho lift/level combo.
I've been using a set of Ranch 2" lift level with a 2" spacer on my 99 TRD 4X4 for 13yrs now with great results.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Uh, it was not you. TINY. I did not see my bad typing. Single cab, tiny Toyota Tacoma. Still no solid answer from Rock Auto. a week of emails. THey are getting worse with the answers and questions back now....

Zukester
Seems that customer service has gone out the window. All these guys are hoping for straight-through processing of orders without any customer interaction and it's not like the old days when they liked a challenge.

zukester

OK. Awesome. What I will do then is order them, the Monroes.
MONROE 171352R is what shows on Rock Auto for the right
MONROE 171352L is what shows on Rock Auto for the left side

Like you said, the video said to replace both as one unit, because the factory smooshes that spring and if you remove the center nut it could hurt or kill you like shrapnel. The back is lifted with an extra leaf welded in because I was hauling firewood alot (looked like a comedy show going down the road I had so much).

Thanks So Much.....from the snow in CT.......

Bobby Z

Posting a little late, but, what caught my eye was you stated your truck is a "PreRunner", if is in deed a factory PreRunner then your front Suspension is the same as a 4wd of that year.
Replacement shocks/struts will be the exact same ones used on a 4wd.
I recommend when you buy new shock/struts look at those that have replacement coil springs included.
Your present springs are progressive rate springs, if you were to compare them with new springs your find they've collapsed somewhere between 2 to 4 inches over the years. Toyota progressive rate springs which were found on TRD and PreRunner trucks were terrible about collapsing.
And yes you can use standard rate springs as a replacement with no problems.
You could even get a 2" left combo to level the truck. Something like the Rancho lift/level combo.
I've been using a set of Ranch 2" lift level with a 2" spacer on my 99 TRD 4X4 for 13yrs now with great results.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Yea if their already assembled thats great.
I've used the "J" hook at home spring compressors to get the springs on before, wouldn't do it again.
Since then I took them to a local shop to be assembled until I bought my own commercial heavy duty caged spring compressor.

zukester

OK.........so. Hmmmmmm......unlike any video I watched, unlike it shows in the Factory Repair Manual, and any place else, I have zero access to any removal hardware on either end. The arrow in the top pic points to the bottom of the shock (photo flipped), and the other pic at the bottom is the top where normally there are three mounting nuts on lugs-no place to be found or seen here. Someone on Youtube asked me, "Is there a lift kit?" I have no idea.

smaller-IMG_2789.JPG
sm-IMG_2786.JPG

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Double checked my 99 to make sure I wasn't talking out my butt.
Top will have 3 fasteners spread out around the center bolt in your picture.
I say fasteners because it may be rivets, as mine were from factory, or bolts that were supplied with the replacement shocks which are in now.
Bottom should have 1 large bolt running horizontally through the shock and a bracket welded to the top of the bottom "A" arm.

zukester

OK. But the rivets........I am wondering if I can even get them out. Thinking of taking to a friend who owns a garage. So far from what I can see, this is impossible for me to change and the type I bought would not fit without major modifications.. There is a bolt horizontally at the bottom, which is what the arrow is pointing to, but it is surrounded by that metal ring and impossible to access, nor back out.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Did your new struts come with New bolts to replace the rivets?
You just grind the rivet heads off and knock them out from the top.
I'm not seeing the same bracket on the Bottom, the picture doesn't look right to me.
I'll try to get pics tomorrow when it's light out.

zukester

Did your new struts come with New bolts to replace the rivets?
You just grind the rivet heads off and knock them out from the top.
I'm not seeing the same bracket on the Bottom, the picture doesn't look right to me.
I'll try to get pics tomorrow when it's light out.
Yeah, they came bolts as lugs sticking up, with nuts to tighten in a bag. I can't figure out how to even get at the rivets. I will have to take another look at it and see what hold the top piece there. Well, the bottom also. None of it makes sense to me. I looked at "1999 Tacoma Lift Kits" images....nothing like what I am seeing at all. No idea what it is.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I gotta admit every time I look at your pics I'm not seeing a resemblance to the 4x4 or prerunner suspension on the Bottom a arm.

Related Content You Might Like: