• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Potential Job Gives Me A Vehicle Allowance. What Should I Get?? ~ Daydreaming Thread!

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
So this is just a little bit of daydreaming here.

I'm a candidate for a position with a company that gives a $600/mo car allowance. What should I get?

Let's just say that they do this for all positions in "marketing", not really how it works but let's go with that. I'll be in charge of digital stuff only, so i'd never really have to take people out in the car/truck/suv/crossover, which is probably what they intended it for, they want their senior people to be in reliable cars so they get to work on time, but also they can take people out when needed and aren't in a rust bucket, I get it ... so I'd crazy to give up a perk like that, right?

So, i'm looking to maximize what I can get for the money. I'm thinking that perhaps I could buy a new Tundra and with the extra money I get from trading in my van I could put gravel down on the side of my current house so i could park it there and keep it more out of sight to dissuade vandals from touching.

I'm pricing them all out now and will update the OP in this thread ... feel free to comment in here and I'll update soon.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
So, with the current incentives, I could probably do a lease of a new 2016 Tundra Crew Cab 1791 for $999 down and $536/mo. Maybe could get it for less than that, I'm not sure but that would put a fully-loaded truck inside of the boundaries of what I could afford with just insurance payments that would need to be made putting me over.

The downside to something like this is that while I'd get the truck for 36 months, I'd have to turn it in and get something else at 36 months and if I'm in the same job that would be awesome, but the payment never would go away and I tend to hold onto vehicles until I wreck them :) so I would never get rid of having to make a payment.

Here's the 1791 Edition of the 2016 Tundra. Wonder if the lease offer includes 4WD for that price or not?

Sunset Bronze Mica-4U3-64,36,17-640-en_US.jpg

I've also attached the official PDF from the truck that I built out on Toyota's website. MSRP is at a very reasonable price for a truck as loaded at this. Honestly, I thought it was going to get pushed into the 60k+ price range with everything added, I know Ford and Chevy have trucks that expensive.

Attachments

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
So the lease payment for a 2016 Tundra would be in the $500/mo range, but let's just say that I paid upwards of $48,000 for a truck like this (maybe get it for $45,000?) ... I'd have a payment of over $800/mo for maybe 60 months.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Hmm, the new generation of Tacoma might be in the cards as well, as I just read the max towing capacity is 6,800 lbs on the best towing model configuration. That would knock $15k off the total amount due.

So I could get a very nicely equipped 2017 Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab Short Box 4WD in the low $30k range, so that would drop my payments to just over $500/mo to purchase and maybe $380/mo for a 36 month lease.

This is the pic of the 2016 TRD Sport, but I would choose a color combo like this if possible.

2017-Toyota-Tacoma-TRD-Sport.jpg

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
The Sequoia would be nice, but I don't think I can afford one as just about anything would be well over $50,000 new MSRP. So even with some good rebates, probably would be high 40's. Anyone bought a new Sequoia recently? Any good incentives?

2016 Toyota Sequoia. I attached the build sheet PDF.

2016 Toyota Sequoia Aggressive look.jpg

Attachments

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
If the Highlander was larger I would consider it as well. They just redid it and I don't think they're going any larger.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Steve; If your interested in a truck have a talk with Hardy Tadlock at Toyota of Dallas, he's the Fleet Servicing Manager at TOD.
He really doesn't do sales normally but if you tell him I recommended you to him he should be able to tell you some interesting figures. He's not a salesman so he doesn't work commission but has authority to make a deal on any vehicle on the lot new or used.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Steve; If your interested in a truck have a talk with Hardy Tadlock at Toyota of Dallas, he's the Fleet Servicing Manager at TOD.
He really doesn't do sales normally but if you tell him I recommended you to him he should be able to tell you some interesting figures. He's not a salesman so he doesn't work commission but has authority to make a deal on any vehicle on the lot new or used.
Thanks for the tip, I'll give him a call when I land this new gig.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Tough decision, but a good one to have. Sounds like you'd be better off with either the new 2017 Tacoma or Tundra. You've spoken before about having to get off the street, but the Tacoma fit inside your garage?

Related Content You Might Like: