• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

New Hobby For My Boys. Metal Detecting!

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
So my middle boy has been wanting a metal detector for some time. We got him a jr. detector with a sifter and small shovel and you would have thought we bought him a new ferrari.

13934829_10154361822379076_2707540820661469050_n.jpg

Anyhow, went out into the woods inside a park in our development. The whole region was farmland just 30 years ago, going backwards about 150 years there has been farms and cattle ranches around here.

We ended up finding the old barbed-wire fence line and that included some very old and rusted through barbed wire and rusted metal stakes. It's in an area that was covered over with brush and doesn't look like people have been here much at all, just some wild animal tracks.

Also found a few pennies and what looks to be natural iron in some rocks, pretty cool.

Anyhow, it's good times. We're going to detect near the sand volleyball courts now and then around the playgrounds and near all of the benches where people sit.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
... as a matter of fact, we're headed down there now to see what we can find. I'll post photos back up here later.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Metal detecting is fun. I have one in the workshop that I take out every once in a while. Haven't really found anything worth $$$ so I guess I'll keep looking for a job. o_O Post up what your find!

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Nothing in the sand. Found barbed wire that was buried four years. Also construction debris as well.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
We're going to the college to look at the old maps to see what our development looked like as farmland. Found some stuff in the ground too.

20160806_124614.jpg

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
My house sits on an old farm site, I've used my metal detector all around my yard, I found 17 horshoes buried in a hole in my backyard, at the front of the house along the street I found a 15ft section with household debris, metal tins, metal buttons, silverware, etc and short sections of pipe.
A friend of mine that works for the city told me my house sits about what the original farmhouse was, during construction of the subdivision in 1983 it was torn down and the debris burned. About 5 houses down is an old cemetary in a large open area backing up to woods, I haven't had a chance to walk that area yet but maybe someday.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
My house sits on an old farm site, I've used my metal detector all around my yard, I found 17 horshoes buried in a hole in my backyard, at the front of the house along the street I found a 15ft section with household debris, metal tins, metal buttons, silverware, etc and short sections of pipe.
A friend of mine that works for the city told me my house sits about what the original farmhouse was, during construction of the subdivision in 1983 it was torn down and the debris burned. About 5 houses down is an old cemetary in a large open area backing up to woods, I haven't had a chance to walk that area yet but maybe someday.
We bought a house even I was a kid with strange previous owners. They apparently dug a hole and buried stuff in the back, who knows what it was.

We went to The University Of Texas At Arlington (UTA) to look at their old maps and found one from 1971 with the roads listed. My entire area had no roads as it was two farms back to back. Just above my finger.

20160806_142725.jpg

Related Content You Might Like: