• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Looking at buying a Toyota Tacoma. Need Help!

DaniMolo

TTC Chicks
Been reading through this forum looking for the nicest Toyota truck to pursue, first decision came to be the Tacoma.

What should I look for I start my search for a good used truck? Anything to keep in mind or to watch out for?

Thanks for any help I do get.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I believe the Tacoma is the #1 selling mid-sized truck for the North America markets, so that is the United States and Canada. Outside of the US the Toyota pickup of choice is the Toyota Hilux truck.

What are you looking to do mostly with a new truck? You want a daily driver? Something that you can haul any specific type of gear around in? Camping? Traveling? Towing? Maybe a mixture of all of the above?

Toyota Hilux 7th Generation (from Wikipedia)
Following the February 2004 introduction of the 2005 model year Tacoma, the 7th generation Hilux was unveiled on March 2, 2005 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Market launch later began in April 2005. The Tacoma was based on the 4Runner chassis, while the Hilux rides on an revamped version of the ladder frame found on previous versions. The Hilux increased in size and then became classified as a mid-size pick up. The Tacoma had a new 4.0 L V6 engine that produces 176 kW (236 hp) and 361 N·m (266 lb·ft) of torque. Its design was very similar to the 4Runner.[16]

Hilux models sold in Australian, Middle Eastern, and Asian markets are built and assembled in Thailand, where the vehicle is called the Hilux Vigo, or simply Vigo. For the European and South African markets the Hilux is built in Durban, South Africa. As of December 2009, it is the best selling vehicle in South Africa. Those sold in South America are made in Argentina, as with the previous generation Hilux.[17] However, the engines are built in Japan (where they are also used in the Prado) instead of Argentina.[citation needed] In Asia, the Hilux Vigo platform was used as the basis for Toyota's IMV program which spawned theInnova MPV and Fortuner SUV/PPV.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Moreover, the Hilux does not go by that name in North America, it's just the Toyota Pickup.

In 1995, Toyota introduced a new pickup model, the Tacoma in North America, discontinuing the Hilux/Pickup there. The 4Runner is now a full SUV, and the more recent models do not resemble the Tacoma.

As of 2014, the Toyota Hilux is available worldwide, except Japan, United States, Canada, North Korea, and South Korea.

DaniMolo

TTC Chicks
I believe the Tacoma is the #1 selling mid-sized truck for the North America markets, so that is the United States and Canada. Outside of the US the Toyota pickup of choice is the Toyota Hilux truck.

What are you looking to do mostly with a new truck? You want a daily driver? Something that you can haul any specific type of gear around in? Camping? Traveling? Towing? Maybe a mixture of all of the above?

Toyota Hilux 7th Generation (from Wikipedia)
Wow, thanks for your reply, really helpful of you.

Ideally it will be used as a 2nd vehicle , because I definitely don't need that big of a vehicle for driving to the shops and stuff. I would use it as a travel companion. I love going away for weeks at a time with me and my laptop and portable Wifi. Camping yes, and traveling yes! I'd love to be able to sleep a night or two in it occasionally if I'm in the middle of nowhere or if it's too cold to sleep outside (not looking for extremely comfortable sleeping, because it is a truck after all, but if I could curl up in it somewhere without my limbs going dead that would be a big bonus )

Will for sure be going off road in it wherever I can.

Oh also, I would really like to get something with enough space so that I can have my laptop on and be able to do a bit of my online work without getting cramped.

I guess my requirements could probably fit to any of the trucks Toyota have, but this Tacoma really caught my eye! now you know a bit more about what I want, would you think this would be an ideal model of truck for me?

rickoshay45

If you are going offroad 4x4 is the best way to go. They are priceyer and higher maintenance but unless you are super careful 2wd will get you into trouble! If you want to sleep in it a Double cab is probably the best bet. That way you have the option of folding down the passenger seat or the rear seat.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, like @rickoshay45 said, sounds like you need a 4x4 at least access cab, if not a double cab @DaniMolo.

What's the difference between the Access Cab and the Double Cab?

ACCESS CAB
The Access Cab looks like this, it's the same that other mfgs call an Extended cab. Basically if you need just a little bit more room but don't want a truck that's too long, then the access cab is right for you as you will be able to recline the seats back more and that will give you more comfort when traveling.

DOUBLE CAB
The Double Cab gives you four doors, this is ideal if you will have people traveling with you from time to time as well, and IMHO it helps with resale value when you go to try to sell it, there's more people who are looking for a 4-door than a 2-door truck, there just are.

rickoshay45

The rear seat bottom flip up behind the front seat and the backrests fold down to make a large plastic shelf. Put down a pad and sleeping bag and you are good unless you are tall.

DaniMolo

TTC Chicks
thanks @rickoshay45 and @toyotafan :)

Yes you are right, it makes a lot more sense for me to go for a 4 door option , and 4 wheel drive is a must yes (silly me I thought that all of these truck type vehicles would be 4 wheel drive.. the Tacoma does look very stylish though.. :)

I could do with a bit more help if you guys don't mind, but should I start a new thread in a more related sub section, or will i just continue here..

Honestly guys, thank you so much for your help so far, don't know how i'd make this decision otherwise, I hate going to actual car sales places because all they wanna do is SELL SELL SELL, and not tell you all you need to know..

Dani

rickoshay45

I didn't buy mine for the looks, though I will admit I like the Looks, I bought for it's legendary reliability and retention of value. Remember these are called Hilux everywhere else in the world!

Ellen

Well it all depends on your use and why you need but If I need to choose one then I would go with Double Cab because of more space and I like the style. You should check it.

Nana

TTC Chicks
I too was thinking of getting a Tacoma, just used one, that’s the only car I can afford right now, I don’t know what to look for as there are so many options, but not from 2004 or earlier.

Any suggestions guys would be appreciated?

Ellen

Well you should check some deals website where you might find easily at affordable price and you never know you might end up with good Tacoma at affordable price.

DaniMolo

TTC Chicks
Well it all depends on your use and why you need but If I need to choose one then I would go with Double Cab because of more space and I like the style. You should check it.
Yeah have been thinking for a while and will definitely go for a double cab truck..

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Been reading through this forum looking for the nicest Toyota truck to pursue, first decision came to be the Tacoma.

What should I look for I start my search for a good used truck? Anything to keep in mind or to watch out for?

Thanks for any help I do get.
Did you ever find anything?

Related Content You Might Like: