• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Locked Keys in the truck ~ 1994 Toyota Ext CAb

DannyBoy

Hey Guys,
I just bought this truck the other day...it is a 1994 Toyota Pickup Ext Cab...128,000 miles...excellent condition...but I just locked the keys in the ignition with the radio playing.

Does anyone know how to unlock this truck without calling someone?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I've looked at various how to videos...I just don't know what the locking mechanism looks like so it is difficult to picture where i should be putting the hooked hanger inside the door. Help? Please...

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Does it have a rear sliding window?
That model truck is very easy to pop the window latch from outside.
Or a slim jim between the window and frame works good on either front door.
Start at the back edge of the door and slide forward, kind of like sweeping the hook while gently pulling upward as you go along.

DannyBoy

Yeah, it does have a sliding rear window...I went out back and cut a piece off some sheet metal from an old barn I had. I am looking for pictures of slim jims...I am going to make one...how do I pop the lock on the rear window?

- - - Updated - - -

Not having any luck with my slim jim.........

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
You should be able to slip something thin between where the windows join in the center and pop the latch.
I've used a credit card more than once but any thin stiff piece of plastic should do the job.

DannyBoy

You should be able to slip something thin between where the windows join in the center and pop the latch.
I've used a credit card more than once but any thin stiff piece of plastic should do the job.
There is no way to open this rear sliding window...it must be different than yours...I couldn't wedge anything between there. The other thing is, when you pull the door handle from the inside, it doesn't unlock the doors either. The only way to unlock the door from the inside is to physically pull the lock up with your fingers and thumbs. That's just the way it's made. So, I will be calling a lock smith in the morning. What a dumbass...I can't believe I did that. But..hey...that's life, eh?

Loves2Ride

100 Posts
. So, I will be calling a lock smith in the morning. What a dumbass...I can't believe I did that. But..hey...that's life, eh?

You're not a dumbass for locking the keys in the ignition. You probably had a lot on your mind. I had a friend and when she was going through her divorce locked herself out of her car at work at least five times within a two month period of time. Craziness happens. Sorry, you couldn't could into the car.

DannyBoy

You're not a dumbass for locking the keys in the ignition. You probably had a lot on your mind. I had a friend and when she was going through her divorce locked herself out of her car at work at least five times within a two month period of time. Craziness happens. Sorry, you couldn't could into the car.
Thanks for that vote of confidence! I read it at 4:30 this morning. You are right...I am NOT a dumb-ass...I am a freaking GENIUS!!!! You sort of rebuilt my downtrodden confidence...
I UNLOCKED THE TRUCK...YEA!@!!!!!!!!
OKAY, HERE IS HOW i DID IT:
I made a very simple loop to grab the thumb lock with. Here is how I made it:
1. First, unscrew the antenna from the truck.
2. You will need some nylon string, scissors or knife, a straw (the kind that you drink soda pop from), electric tape (or duct tape or probably scotch tape if that's all you have)
3. Cut the straw...you only need like two inches of straw.
4. Put the string through the straw and then feed it back through again so that you have a loop sticking out one end of the straw.
5. Tape the 2 inch piece of straw (with the loop hanging out) to the very top end of the antenna.
6. Pry back the door and stick the antenna down where the lock is
7. Jiggle it until you get the loop over the thumb lock
8. Carefully, pull the string until the loop tightens over the thumb lock...get it as tight as you can and pull up!
9. Open the door, get your freaking keys out...and dance like hell repeating over and over...I'm a freaking genius, I'm a freaking genius!

Thanks for all your help guys...and gal....You Rock!!!!

Last edited:

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Thanks for that vote of confidence! I read it at 4:30 this morning. You are right...I am NOT a dumb-ass...I am a freaking GENIUS!!!! You sort of rebuilt my downtrodden confidence...
2. You will need some nylon string, scissors or knife, a straw (the kind that you drink soda pop from), electric tape (or duct tape or probably scotch tape if that's all you have)
4. Put the string through the straw and then feed it back through again so that you have a loop sticking out one end of the straw.
5. Tape the 2 inch piece of straw (with the loop hanging out) to the very top end of the antenna.
8. Carefully, pull the string until the loop tightens over the thumb lock...get it as tight as you can and pull up!
9. Open the door, get your freaking keys out...and dance like hell repeating over and over...I'm a freaking genius, I'm a freaking genius!

- - - Updated - - -

NOW, go get a spare set of keys made! Get a magnet box and have a spare key made and stick it on the underside of your frame. :)

DannyBoy

That's awesome. I'm going to make a "makeshift genius" logo on the site and you're going to be the first to get that award. Nice work!

- - - Updated - - -

NOW, go get a spare set of keys made! Get a magnet box and have a spare key made and stick it on the underside of your frame. :)
lol...thanks...done, done it! :)

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Do you have any action shots of this being put into use? I'd love to see them if you had one or two.

supernovax3

100 Posts
My sister has locked her keys in her car (sometimes engine running) quite a few times. I'm glad you got it unlocked, but aside from the obvious spare key, I would advise getting a lockout kit. It has something that looks like a rubber doorstop that you wedge between the door and the roof, and a thick, slightly curved rod that is like a very thick hanger. You just push the wedge down until there is enough space to fit the rod through, and from there you can reach your door lock and push/pull it.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I have experience this before, When we send the vehicle to the dealership service center they use this lockout kit like supernovax3 is saying.. I wonder right now if the lockout kit is also available to the public? hehe I just don't know that why I am asking

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts

Related Content You Might Like: