• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

It makes a difference to change oil in Tacoma truck differentials — just don't do it

meanToy

100 Posts
Q. I have a general maintenance question for you guys. Every time I go to get the oil changed on my 1998 Toyota Tacoma, the service man always tries to sell me an oil change for the differentials. I always decline, because I don’t want to pay the money and I’m not sure if the truck needs it. So, how often should the oil in the rear and front differentials be changed?

More...

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Diff lube maintenance

60k is good for diff lube changes. Since you dont say whether you have previous maintenance records I'd probably get it done now and start tracking to the next 60k mark.
If you use your Tacoma for off-road use I'd check the diff lube everytime you get back from a run that involves water crossings or mud. Mud has a issue with wearing the axle seals and allowing water intrusion to contaminate the diff lube. Water can also leak in due to rapid hot and cold changes when you ford creeks or bodies of water.
Water in the diff lube will look a lot like a chocolate milkshake after a few miles, and has just about the same lubrication qualities as one too.

GearHead

100 Posts
60k is good for diff lube changes. Since you dont say whether you have previous maintenance records I'd probably get it done now and start tracking to the next 60k mark.
If you use your Tacoma for off-road use I'd check the diff lube everytime you get back from a run that involves water crossings or mud. Mud has a issue with wearing the axle seals and allowing water intrusion to contaminate the diff lube. Water can also leak in due to rapid hot and cold changes when you ford creeks or bodies of water.
Water in the diff lube will look a lot like a chocolate milkshake after a few miles, and has just about the same lubrication qualities as one too.
What is the easiest way to check this? I guess there is a way to bleed it out?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
No bleeding needed.
Get under the truck and pull the plug at the top of the diff, dip your finger in the fluid, the level should be right near the top at the fill plugs bottom edge, check condition and color.
If it looks like honey your good, I'm guessing yours will be dark grey or black, not a bad choice to change it if thats the case.
When changing the fluid always crack the fill plug at the top first, that way if the plug doesnt want to come out you wont drain it and leave a dry diff with no way to refill it, sometimes these plugs can be a pain to get out.
Drain from the bottom, allow it to drip for 15 mins or so, refill the diff from the top plug untill you get a little dribble out the fill plug, wipe things clean replace the fill plug, run the truck down the road and check/wipe off anything on the diff job complete shouldnt take more than 20 mins.
No filters or bleeding needed.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Wow, you learn something new everyday I guess. I thought most of this was done on the Toyota Maintenance plan that I get done like clockwork at the dealer.

GearHead

100 Posts
Wow, you learn something new everyday I guess. I thought most of this was done on the Toyota Maintenance plan that I get done like clockwork at the dealer.
Probably is part of the dealer plan, I just need to know how to do it on older rigs is all. I wouldn't think that Toyota would leave this out of their standard plan that you get when you purchase a new one.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Q. I have a general maintenance question for you guys. Every time I go to get the oil changed on my 1998 Toyota Tacoma, the service man always tries to sell me an oil change for the differentials. I always decline, because I don’t want to pay the money and I’m not sure if the truck needs it. So, how often should the oil in the rear and front differentials be changed?

More...

I wish I have read this article earlier today it is not already available

Related Content You Might Like: