• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

INSTALLED CB IN MY 06' TACOMA CENTER CONSOLE

Samson Meier 06

I've recently installed a Cobra 29 LTD CB radio with bluetooth capabilities. I took apart my center console and slotted the bottom to fit the complete depth of the unit out of sight and out of mind. (Pictures coming soon) Its nice to know I have it for some emergencies or camping expeditions. It works great, but I don't get too much range with the antenna it comes with.

Any ideas on where to get an affordable long range antenna that is clear in reception? And possibly install brackets for where it would go?

Thanks- Samson Meier

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Where do you want the attenna to be mounted? What range do you want?

Samson Meier 06

Where do you want the attenna to be mounted? What range do you want?
Im not quite sure what I should go for in range. Im thinking 50 miles but I don't know if that sounds too shallow or too broad. Id like to mount it somewhere on the bed rail. Possibly on the stock bar just beneath the edge of the bed, but can't find a sight that sells it? Maybe I'm just not wording it right. lol

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Keep in mind CB's are whats termed line of site radios.
50 mile coverage for a cb would be expecting s lot unless there were a couple factors working for you.
1 you lived in a region that is flat for miles around with no high obstructions, somewhere like Nebraska.
2 you are able to skip your signal off of clouds. Which is more accident than intentional. I believe the correct term is propulgated radio waves, this anomalie has made radio operators in completely different countries able to communicate.
3 you had a linear amp hooked to your truck. Illegal to use, and annoying to any cb users nearby when in use but it will put you voice out for you when being used.
CB's by law are restricted to the lower band waves and limited to 5 watt output. You can purchase a SSB (single side band) cb that essentially splits the channels you already use and triples your channel capability. I have bettre luck skipping waves with ssb but theres less people out there on those bands since their relatively unknown.
With a good antenna and good antenna ground plane expect your normal cb reach to be closer to 5 miles.
Wilson makes a great antenna, about a 4-5 foot fiberglass wrapped is the most common and best for reception.
Best reception is gained by tuning your antenna. The best method to tune your antenna is first start with the best mounting place. Unfortunaiely that would be the center of your cab roof, it offers the best ground plane and best view front to back to sides.
Then place an SWR meter in line on the antenna to cb cable. Almost all cb antennas have smoe mast adjustment at or near the mounting base, while adjusting the mast up or down broadcast and watch the numbers. Lowest numbers are best as they relate to less wave impedance.
Im sure if you look around some you'll find a loves truck stop or small cb shop near you that can offer everything you need to maximize you radio. Most small cb shops offer tuning for a few $$.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Some added reading
http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/pickup.htm

This is a very popular antenna, if you browse the catalog I believe they have mounts also.
Ive used Firestick and Firestick II antennas for 35 years with good results on many pickup trucks, honestly the last antenna I put on my present truck isnt a firestick and I regret not buying a firestick, itd getting replaced soon.
http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

Samson Meier 06

Keep in mind CB's are whats termed line of site radios.
50 mile coverage for a cb would be expecting s lot unless there were a couple factors working for you.
1 you lived in a region that is flat for miles around with no high obstructions, somewhere like Nebraska.
2 you are able to skip your signal off of clouds. Which is more accident than intentional. I believe the correct term is propulgated radio waves, this anomalie has made radio operators in completely different countries able to communicate.
3 you had a linear amp hooked to your truck. Illegal to use, and annoying to any cb users nearby when in use but it will put you voice out for you when being used.
CB's by law are restricted to the lower band waves and limited to 5 watt output. You can purchase a SSB (single side band) cb that essentially splits the channels you already use and triples your channel capability. I have bettre luck skipping waves with ssb but theres less people out there on those bands since their relatively unknown.
With a good antenna and good antenna ground plane expect your normal cb reach to be closer to 5 miles.
Wilson makes a great antenna, about a 4-5 foot fiberglass wrapped is the most common and best for reception.
Best reception is gained by tuning your antenna. The best method to tune your antenna is first start with the best mounting place. Unfortunaiely that would be the center of your cab roof, it offers the best ground plane and best view front to back to sides.
Then place an SWR meter in line on the antenna to cb cable. Almost all cb antennas have smoe mast adjustment at or near the mounting base, while adjusting the mast up or down broadcast and watch the numbers. Lowest numbers are best as they relate to less wave impedance.
Im sure if you look around some you'll find a loves truck stop or small cb shop near you that can offer everything you need to maximize you radio. Most small cb shops offer tuning for a few $$.
Thanks a lot for the info. Learned a few new tips. Im new to the whole CB radio stuff so Im just now learning it all. I live in the Bay area so I think I'll have to pick and choose where I'll be able to use it.

I too have noticed the weird stations I've picked up. It seems like sometimes I can hear truckers or country folk from Louisiana. lol Not totally sure, but I've looked up the towns I've heard over a couple times listening in.

Theirs a Loves truck stop station about 30 miles from me. Next time Im in the area I'll have to stop and check it out. Hopefully they will be able to tune it for me. I think its best though if I look for a book on CB's and a Dummy's guide on how to use them lol

Now, for the antenna being on the roof. Have you seen guys drill holes so that the antenna sits nice or do you recommend a magnetic base and letting the wire just hang over the back side of the cab? Ive seen some like that, just doesn't look that clean. I wish they made a wireless one or something along the lines. I'll check out the sight you gave me and place an order. They seemed to be pretty affordable.

Thanks-

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
CB antennae on my Toyota is a K40. It's a magnetic mount 6' stainless steel whip mounted in front corner of box. A very good tuneable antennae but like others have said CB band coverage is minimal. Properly tuned you can receive up to 15 miles,, more depending on terrain. How far you transmit depends on your output. I have a General Lee 5 band radio, CB being one of the bands. It is a high output radio(requires use of a 10amp fuse), heat sink on the back so you can hookup a linear amp and transmit great distance. There are various shops that will "tune" cb's, find one that is recommended. I used Sparky's in Illinois for years 'till he passed away recently. Sparky in fact recommended the General Lee to me over another more expensive radio reason being "we don't see 'em in the shop" They are a quality piece of equipment. Same radio as a Connex 3300 but pimped a bit.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Yea Im not a fan of the roof top option either, drilling holes and pulling the headliner vs ugly antenna cable across the roof and back.
My fix to this over the years has been to mount the antenna on either the rail directly behind the cab, or a better choice, the rear bumper corner out of the way of the tailgate opening and closing.
I've had better results with a 4-5ft antenna on the bumper, something about 1 ft taller than the cab.
If you can find an electronics shop you could purchase an SWR meter for around $20.
One nice feature of the Firestick series antennas is they have a tuning screw at the top to dial in SWR readings after being mounted.
I spent a few years in the Bay Area back in the 80's, Walnut Creek, a great local place to pick-up lots of long distance radio traffic was at the top of Mt Diablo, Ive skipped radioeaves all the way to Singapore off that Mt top.

Related Content You Might Like: