• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

How Rare Is 1st Gen 4runner Turbo?

matt b

I'm looking at purchasing said model. I'd never noticed the turbo badge on a 4runner before. 22r automatic freshly rebuilt motor.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Is it factory oem turbo? Then it should be fine, but I've got no numbers to know how rare. The biggest issue is that most turbos I've seen are aftermarket and the cam, rods, etc need to be built up to handle.

matt b

Is it factory oem turbo? Then it should be fine, but I've got no numbers to know how rare. The biggest issue is that most turbos I've seen are aftermarket and the cam, rods, etc need to be built up to handle.
seems to be original badging on truck. current owner happy w/ engine rebuild,waiting to resolve trans.rebuild issues(seems to go from 1st to 3rd).I can't believe I found a Cal. car (no rust) that has been loved by an owner who was willing to listen to an offer for a truck that was not for sale! nothing in writing but negotiations seem to have good vibe.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
seems to be original badging on truck. current owner happy w/ engine rebuild,waiting to resolve trans.rebuild issues(seems to go from 1st to 3rd).I can't believe I found a Cal. car (no rust) that has been loved by an owner who was willing to listen to an offer for a truck that was not for sale! nothing in writing but negotiations seem to have good vibe.
Good deal. He's doing the trans rebuild for you before he sells it? Forget the turbo, that's not just rare that's pretty cool. ;-)

matt b

Good deal. He's doing the trans rebuild for you before he sells it? Forget the turbo, that's not just rare that's pretty cool. ;-)
for the price he would be willing to sell it
working trans major negotiating point. He's not happy with repairs already paid for ,waiting for fix to get his price.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts

working trans major negotiating point. He's not happy with repairs already paid for ,waiting for fix to get his price.
Ok, I'm with you on that now I think. Hopefully they'll be done properly and won't dramatically increase what he's looking to get for the truck.

You have pics yet?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts

Ok, I'm with you on that now I think. Hopefully they'll be done properly and won't dramatically increase what he's looking to get for the truck.

You have pics yet?

matt b

You have pics yet?
this week he takes it back to trans guy ... trying not to be pain in the ass to seller....save pics for when I own something. backed out of subaru when this opp. turned up..seller asking premium for truck, given condition and I'm OK ,body solid not perfect.........I am reluctant to mention price... 2k over budget ...rebuilt motor and trans.... beer muddling cognitive synapses....passion overiding common sense... ...... ..... you know karma favors the worthy. My family recently donated literally $ 1k worth of lego kits (both built and random bits (2 large footlocker size containers) to ronald mcdonald house in my area and swear to god the next day we took my daughters car to our mech. for tire rotate fluid fill back to college check-up and the owner said it was on the house! good deeds are rewarded... My truck will find me #not rushing into anything

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
First gen 4runners with the turbo option weren't popular, mostly because most people were suspicious of the reliability of Turbos in general at that time. Many turbo vehicles at that time suffered catastrophic engine and or turbo failure, sadly the fault lay with poor maintenance and inferior oils most of the time.

matt b

I've ended my torture.....dream truck aspirations on hold. I'll be" making due" with 2014 forester. even trade for sportscar(ticket trap) .now i have to start saving all over again. somedaytho.....

Related Content You Might Like: