• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Hi From Ct!

DaveBarbier

Hi everyone, my name's Dave and I just signed up!

Right now I drive a 2005 Sonata (whaaaa?) but I used to have an '88 pickup 22RE that blew a head gasket. I sold it and right now it's on it's way to Guatemala in a shipping container.

I love these trucks and was looking around for a nice forum because I'm getting another one hopefully soon. I had a question on WHICH motor (22R or 22RE) do you guys think is most reliable and cheap/easy to fix with parts which aren't unobtanium? I'm pretty comfortable with carbureted motors and I'm leaning towards one of those. This will be my daily driver and will stay completely stock...might add a plow to plow my driveway, but that's it...maybe a winch for when I work at the local tree farm during the holidays.

Hope it's not frowned upon to ask questions in the introduction section. If so, let me know and I'll post it elsewhere.

Thanks!

DaveBarbier

Welcome to the site. Guatemala? How does that work? That sounds like a story in and of itself.
Thanks guys! Yeah, well when the head gasket blew I was going to fix it myself. Got the head gasket kit and a refurbished head (was cheaper than machining mine if it was warped). Got half way through and life got in the way. I was then second guessing myself trying to fix it. I have the know-how but the reason it was over heating the first place was never solved. I didn't want to put a new head gasket in and then have it over heat again in a month's time.

Put it on Craigslist as a parts car or project. Two Hispanic guys came down and bought it on the spot for $820. I asked if they had a trailer. "Nah," They said. "...we'll fix it now and drive it home." They had all the tools they needed, and with beer from my fridge and a couple trips to Advance Auto they got it running in 4 hours.

They do this often, obviously, and send the trucks down to Guatemala to aid in the Revolution...actually no, haha. I wish. But they have family in Guatemala and send trucks to sell. They're even more sought after down there.

Here are a few videos. Kinda fun for me to see this come back to life after a few years of sitting:

So I'm looking for a new truck now!

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Thanks guys! Yeah, well when the head gasket blew I was going to fix it myself. Got the head gasket kit and a refurbished head (was cheaper than machining mine if it was warped). Got half way through and life got in the way. I was then second guessing myself trying to fix it. I have the know-how but the reason it was over heating the first place was never solved. I didn't want to put a new head gasket in and then have it over heat again in a month's time.

Put it on Craigslist as a parts car or project. Two Hispanic guys came down and bought it on the spot for $820. I asked if they had a trailer. "Nah," They said. "...we'll fix it now and drive it home." They had all the tools they needed, and with beer from my fridge and a couple trips to Advance Auto they got it running in 4 hours.

They do this often, obviously, and send the trucks down to Guatemala to aid in the Revolution...actually no, haha. I wish. But they have family in Guatemala and send trucks to sell. They're even more sought after down there.

Here are a few videos. Kinda fun for me to see this come back to life after a few years of sitting:

So I'm looking for a new truck now!
Hey I was right, there was a story in there after all. So they drove off and that was that huh, sweet.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Actually, that's got to feel very satisfying that at least the truck's going to be getting a new life and more people will be able to drive it. I had this conversation (again) recently with someone dealing with car life vs. truck life and there's no comparison as to which vehicle type gets used the most, is the most versatile and can keep on getting reinvented for other jobs to do.

toyotasrule

100 Posts
Welcome! Great story on that truck, hopefully they'll send you some pics when it gets to Guatemala and you can share with us.

So you're activeyl looking for a new truck now?

DaveBarbier

Actually, that's got to feel very satisfying that at least the truck's going to be getting a new life and more people will be able to drive it. I had this conversation (again) recently with someone dealing with car life vs. truck life and there's no comparison as to which vehicle type gets used the most, is the most versatile and can keep on getting reinvented for other jobs to do.
I completely agree. The versatility can't be beat. And when it's engineered as well as these Toyotas are then you've got a winner.

Welcome! Great story on that truck, hopefully they'll send you some pics when it gets to Guatemala and you can share with us.

So you're activeyl looking for a new truck now?
I'll definitely be posting pictures when I get them. Should be fun.

Yes, since my Sonata is in the middle of crapping out (196,000 miles - not bad) I'm actively looking. But unsure if I want a carbureted motor or fuel injected. I know EFI is more efficient and apparently since the efficiency there's more usable power, but the carbureted motors I've heard are such a simple thing then it's easier to fix if something goes wrong.

It also depends on what I can find, but if I had my way I don't know which fuel delivery system I'd want.

awonderingdawn

TTC Chicks
Hey Dave!

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing your Guatemala story- that's pretty crazy (but awesome)! It sounds like it's a great business for them.

Do you have any specific vehicles in mind, at the moment, that you're looking at getting?

DaveBarbier

Thanks Dawn! Yeah, I'm looking for either a 22r or 22re 4x4 Pickup mid to late 80's or early 90's. Forgive me if there are model numbers or names like Hilux or 4 Runner that are associated with these trucks, I just don't know them yet. Pretty much the same truck that I had which you can see in the videos.

Anyone have preferences of either 22r or 22re?

Jarred

100 Posts
Sounds those Hispanic guys doing great stuff very easily. Good luck finding a new truck!

DaveBarbier

Sounds those Hispanic guys doing great stuff very easily. Good luck finding a new truck!

Yeah, they were awesome. Although there was this moment, which I failed to mention in the story, where the guy was cutting a brake line under the truck with my angle grinder and hit a fuel line. Sparks and fuel don't mix. Well...nothing happened, but there was a moment where we all almost died.

Thanks Jared!

dirtydeeds

Gold Vendor
100 Posts
Well. I'm a little inland. It's 90 with 60% humidity and my daughter is supposed to race her mini dwarf today. Ugh. Ha

Related Content You Might Like: