• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

I've got a good ole 93 pickup. Recently my EFI fuse started blowing on me. I checked the relay and it's good. I did some reading and decided that the fuel pump (being stock, I'm sure) was bad and was blowing it. The main reason I came to this conclusion is because the only time the fuse would blow is when I would give it gas (especially uphill it seemed). So I replaced the fuel pump.. Here's where the issue starts. I bought a cheap 30 dollar pump offline ( I know, I know ) and it ran for about 20 interstate miles like a champ. Then boom, same situation starts happening. One thing that differed is that it wouldn't fire at all yesterday. I put a new fuse in once I got it in the garage and nothing. I woke up this morning and decided to try it again and it fired right up. Let it idle, gave the pedal a few good pushes, cut the motor and restarted and repeated and it starts and idles great and take all the gas I want to give it in neutral. Any ideas???? Thanks!!

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Welcome to the forum. This question is out of my realm of expertise but I am sure someone will be along shortly that can help on this issue.

Edit: just let it idle for 30-40 minutes. Turned it off and tried to restart and the fuse blew again. It didn't even attempt to give the engine gas.. Think a wire is heating up somewhere? Or could it be a faulty fuel pump? Thanks in advance for anyone who responds

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I think you are on track as it being a wiring issue. Good luck with that. Not sure what the harness looks like but there could be numerous sensors between fuel pump and intake manifold,,any of which could possibly be a culprit. I'm no expert.
I am currently stripping a '92 regular cab 4x4 and should be retrieving the harness from fuel pump forward this week. Maybe I will learn something. Have engine harness boxed up already. Dash harness is next.
IMG_2515.JPG
IMG_2516.JPG

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Any change it could be something else? A quick search returned these recurring items to check:
1. is the O2 sensor wire touching the exhaust pipe, melting and shorting?
2. bad fuel pump?
3. extra aftermarket wiring added and not grounded properly or tied into something it shouldn't be.

Sorry - Not much help.

Last edited:
I think you are on track as it being a wiring issue. Good luck with that. Not sure what the harness looks like but there could be numerous sensors between fuel pump and intake manifold,,any of which could possibly be a culprit. I'm no expert.
I am currently stripping a '92 regular cab 4x4 and should be retrieving the harness from fuel pump forward this week. Maybe I will learn something. Have engine harness boxed up already. Dash harness is next.View attachment 5123View attachment 5124
Definitely let me know if you see any wires throughout the EFI circuit that seem prone to melting or tearing. Good luck on your project! Post pics!

Any change it could be something else? A quick search returned these recurring items to check:
2. bad fuel pump?
3. extra aftermarket wiring added and not grounded properly or tied into something it shouldn't be.

Sorry - Not much help.
There's no after market wiring for sure.
The new fuel pump I bought was a cheap one. Check the reference up top for the model/make. Have you ever heard of them?
Also, is the O2 sensor underneath the exhaust manifold in a 93? I believe that it is. What steps do I take to remove it?

Couldn't find any faulty wiring.. I'm going to replace the fuel pump (again) Wednesday or Thursday. Fingers crossed that I bought a bad pump! Will post results

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
And I don't see any areas in wiring that may cause grief. This is harness from tail lights to connection in cab at rear of seat. Possibly your 02 sensor connection. ??

Attachments

2. bad fuel pump?

Sorry - Not much help.
It actually ended up being the problem... I was mistaking something else with my O2 sensor. Thanks a bunch for the advice!

Well guys, it ended up being the wiring leading to the O2 sensor. They were laying on the exhaust pipe. I don't know why it took me so long to figure it out seeing as that was a continuous piece of advice I got. I cut out the burnt pieces, spliced in some new wires, redid their casing, and secured it far from the exhaust pipe. It's been running great since. Thanks for your help guys!

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Glad to hear you got it fixed. Hang around the forum and post some pictures of your truck - we like pictures!

Related Content You Might Like: