• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Have You Ever Camped In Your Tacoma (or Other Truck)?

toyotasrule

100 Posts
I mostly post in this one because I have a Tacoma, but this could apply to any Toyota truck owner. I put a top on the back of mine and camped in it. Has anyone else ever done that?

antonino

100 Posts
Perhaps, most truck buyers are adventurous in nature. We have a tent, and I take my boys on a camping. But we don't sleep on the truck itself.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I've camped in my truck in the past ... but only when I had do. I'd much rather take an air mattress or a cot with me and sleep on the ground so I can stretch out.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I assume that we're talking about more than full "camping", but rather truck camping? There are a ton of tops to put on the bed of your truck for camping, they range from a simple camper shell all the way to a large camper shell, to a full "camper" that we think of as a professionally built camper that you need to have at least a 3/4 ton or 1 ton to carry around (I think the Tundra could handle it with ease).

Toyota Camper Shell
122_Toyota_Tundra.jpg

Toyota Truck Camper (full camper)
northstar-freedom-truck-camper-2008.jpg

GregH

I put a mattress in the back of my truck. I mostly do this when I'm just going by myself to get away. If I were to take others along with me I probably would use a tent.

jimmyno

When was the last time I went camping? Was that two or three years ago? Ohh, I missed it, and how I wish I could find time to do it again - with some girls.

supernovax3

100 Posts
I've never camped in my Tacoma itself per se, but I have taken it with me when I've gone camping and camped with it.

Daniel

I have a camper shell on mine and I've taken it camping before. I just put a small futon mattress in the bed and had a little Coleman lamp back there. It was great!

Loves2Ride

100 Posts
I love camping both outdoors and inside my truck! I've spent many a night sleeping inside my truck.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I assume that we're talking about more than full "camping", but rather truck camping? There are a ton of tops to put on the bed of your truck for camping, they range from a simple camper shell all the way to a large camper shell, to a full "camper" that we think of as a professionally built camper that you need to have at least a 3/4 ton or 1 ton to carry around (I think the Tundra could handle it with ease).

Toyota Camper Shell
View attachment 910

Toyota Truck Camper (full camper)
View attachment 911

Nice camper shell..

Rootie

I camped for a couple months in my 88 yota with a topper on back. One nice trick is to take a mountainbike innertube and partially inflate it. Wedge in between the slider window of the topper and slider window in the cab to create a wind proof seal between the two. I built a plywood and 2x4 bed frame for an air mattress and kept all my gear in plastic milk crates that stowed under the bed. Made a grabber out of a long handle with a rubber coated hook screwed on the end to retrieve the crates that inevitably would slide to the front of the bed so I could drop the tailgate and pull out the one I needed.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I camped for a couple months in my 88 yota with a topper on back. One nice trick is to take a mountainbike innertube and partially inflate it. Wedge in between the slider window of the topper and slider window in the cab to create a wind proof seal between the two. I built a plywood and 2x4 bed frame for an air mattress and kept all my gear in plastic milk crates that stowed under the bed. Made a grabber out of a long handle with a rubber coated hook screwed on the end to retrieve the crates that inevitably would slide to the front of the bed so I could drop the tailgate and pull out the one I needed.
That's one of those things that I wish I had done when I was younger. But now with a wife and kids its out of the question.

You have any pics of that setup?

Miranda Kay

TTC Chicks
I have a camper shell on mine and I've taken it camping before. I just put a small futon mattress in the bed and had a little Coleman lamp back there. It was great!
My husband, myself and our boy when he was about one camped in the back of our truck for the weekend with family with same set-up. We were in a 1999 Dodge Ram with a gemtop work cap. We opened the back doors, slid the futon mattress inside and had our Coleman lamp handy. While we had a tent, we left this at home, this set up was excellent and no hassle setting up or taking down.

Related Content You Might Like: