• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Gas Millage on the Toyota Tacoma 2WD vs 4WD

ARBALDY

Just wondering what 2 wd tacoma trucks are getting on gas millage in city and on the highway? Thanks Arbaldy

TacoMaz

I have a '99 extra cab 2wd. I've done a lot of driving and before got as much as 28MPG mixed driving, but that was with the stock wheels. After putting heavier Mazda Tribute wheels it dropped to about 25mpg. No other modifications done on it.

ToyoTrucky

I have a 96 Tacoma X-tra cab with Automatic transmission and a 4 cyl., and the gas mileage is about 20 mile per gal. If you want a good gas mileage, go with the 5-sp transmission model.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Gad mileage does vary a LOT depending on how you drive it, traffic, weather, road conditions, city/highway, etc.

02 Taco

I have a '02 standard cab sr5 prerunner with a cap and get in the 20's in mixed driving with the overdrive on all the time. That 4 cylinder likes to sip gas for sure.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I think that it would be interesting to compare and contrast the 2WD vs the 4WD models of the same truck for gas mileage.

GAS MILEAGE TIPS
Remember it's all how you drive it. If you're going 90 MPH down the freeway and then you hit stop and go traffic and city streetlights ... then get some open stretch of road and go 90 again .... you are going to get some very very very bad gas mileage.

However, if you plan your trips to avoid congestion, keep your speed down, maintain your engine and tires properly ... you can get a lot more life out of your vehicle and get better gas mileage in the process.

GearHead

100 Posts
I would think the mileage would be reduced in a 4x4 by a bit, but not positive of this. I'd also like to know how much it is reduced by if this is the case. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

gaswerks

I have an sr5 ex cab 4by 5 speed 133,000 miles getting 19-20mpg. well until the transfer shelled out yesterday. PO said it only got 15-16 for him.I did have to change the motor when I got it and it had always ran synthetic in it. maybe that helps.FIRM believer in synthetics from 2 past experiences on a 2006 CRF250 dirt bike and 1998 chevy 5.7 engine.

02supertaco

Ive got a 02' 4x4, supercharged, cold air intake and i get 18 highway at 70 mph. I average that speed to and from work 20 miles each way.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I have a '99 extra cab 2wd. I've done a lot of driving and before got as much as 28MPG mixed driving, but that was with the stock wheels. After putting heavier Mazda Tribute wheels it dropped to about 25mpg. No other modifications done on it.

Hi! any updates to your truck? Any issues you have encounter so far?

Related Content You Might Like: