• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Engine swap

Zachary luthy

I have a 1983 4x4 sr5z the 22r is getting a little tired and i dont know if its worth rebuilding and throwing performance parts at it to get more power. Im not sure how much power i can honestly get out of it or even if its worth it. And the option ive decided on if im going to follow through with it, id like to put a 2jz gte engine in it? Would that be cool? Anyone ever seen it done to a 1st gen? Any 4x4 transmissions that will work with the power and torque that engine puts out? Id really like to keep a manual in the truck amd if there is no other choice than an automatic im not going to do it. Any ideas that will help me? New to big projects like this and would love some opinions. Any tips or ideas will help! Thank you

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Depends how mechanically incline you are. Could just go with a rebuilt and add a supercharger. Not sure what kind of power they offer. We put a supercharger (power works tm) in soninlaws ford focus,, the 4 banger showed 340 hp on dyno at 10 lbs with more ponies as we increased boost, I believe 600 was the limit,

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The biggest problem with a 2JZ swap will be the length, Supra's and other users of that engine had long hoods, the Delux truck has a relatively short engine bay.
The A34 series transmissiins are used in trucks and cars, but I dont know if the car version is the same as the truck version i.e. in reference to the torque convertor, bolting to the engine, or tailshaft compatability.
If all else fails you could use a divorced t case.
The Gertrag 6 spd manual has gears that wouldnt really work well on a truck with larger off road tires.
Also its hydraulic system requires use of the pedals designed for it which would create some wierd seating/driving positions.
Depending on the engine you source it could be a compatability nightmare getting a fully cooperating computer, engines from 97 on had vvt which requires more computer input.
How much hp you looking for?
The 2.7 is a direct bolt in for engine mounts and trans, requires some added electricals though.
And with just a little more work than the 2.7 you could drop in a 3.4, add a supercharger and youve got a decent amount of hp, not as much as the a 2jz but cheaper and easier.

Related Content You Might Like: