• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Engine Starts Normally, But Doesn't Run

mountainmansteve

Greetings Toyota Truck Masters:

I am new to this forum. I have not been able to solve my current problem through my regular channels on ToyotaMotorhomes.org, so am reaching out to this forum.

The saga of my 1986 Dolphin Electronic Fuel Injection System continues with a new chapter.

I turn the key on, hear the fuel pump running, the engine starts immediately and runs for ~2 seconds then quits. The fuel pump (my most recent problem) was checked by the mechanic that replaced it when I returned from my most recent road trip; system pressure is 40psi, so not likely the current problem.

I have started some preliminary troubleshooting with a multi-meter. I am using the excellent 1988 Repair Manual, which seems to accurate for my 1986 22RE motor, that I downloaded from a TMH.org Members Website and have gained a rudimentary understanding of the EFI System.

The engine will run if I hold the gate open in the mass air flow housing, not sue what this gate is actually called. I can press the accelerator (gently) and increase the rpms, but if I mash the accelerator the engine coughs and wants to die.

So I have been trying to troubleshoot this system. It seems that fuel pump gets a preliminary run voltage and then must get its run voltage from another source after the engine starts. The only relay I saw in between the mass air flow sensor and the fuel pump is something called the circuit open relay which I replaced. i also grabbed another mass air flow sensor from the bone yard.

I saw a post on this forum about jumping a brown and green wire ( check connector) which yielded no change in the symptom.

This is as far as I can go on what I know to this point. Please Help!

Regards,
Stephen

Related Content You Might Like: