• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Best Adventure You've Been On With Your 4Runner

awonderingdawn

TTC Chicks
My boyfriend and I live in Alaska and recently took this amazing off-roading trip in a very beautiful part of central Alaska. It can be difficult to find places to ride in trucks, legally, here in AK, but the places that are available are definitely worth checking out. The place we found was between Fairbanks and Talkeetna, and it was just awesome. What's the best adventure you've been on with your 4Runner?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I wasn't aware that you can't go offroad much in Alaska. I guess just about everywhere is starting to clamp down on offroaders huh?

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Yeah, what's up with that? Is Alaska pretty much a "Wilderness Area" and therefore no mechanized forms of travel?

Anyway, we visit Moab, UT at least once or twice a year (less than 2 hours away). The trails there range from real easy (gravel/dirt road stuff) to extreme (only custom built rock-crawlers). Since we usually drive these trails by ourselves, we limit the difficulty to medium (one step above easy) to mitigate the possibility of getting in over our heads and needing help. There have been times (like our last visit) when we have driven all day without seeing another vehicle.

The desert scenery & views are simply spectacular. There's no other way to describe them. Usually dusty, but hey, it's the desert. The trails themselves are fun to drive without being too challenging, but a good guide book is an absolute necessity.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I was thinking that maybe it had something to do with these new eco-regulations. You know, the same EPA that just about destroyed the Animas River in Colorado.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I wasn't aware that you can't go offroad much in Alaska. I guess just about everywhere is starting to clamp down on offroaders huh?
My brother inlaw was mining near Fairbanks and said it was the strictest environmental rules they had ever dealt with worldwide. It goes beyond ridiculous until you consider the damage inflicted on the rest of the no holds barred continent.

awonderingdawn

TTC Chicks
It's because of the tundra landscape. Tundra grows very slowly- so it heals very slowly when it comes to damage done by vehicles. One set of tire tracks can stay visible in the ground for (they say) more than 200 years. :/ There are a few really nice designated areas though, but they're not typically as 'wilderness-y' as most would hope.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
We have cryptobiotic soil here in Western Colorado (actually found in lots of desert areas) that is a living soil and stepping, driving or mountain biking on it kills it, leaving tracks for many, many years. It looks like black, bumpy stuff, but is easy to identify. We try to avoid this soil when we see it.

awonderingdawn

TTC Chicks
We have cryptobiotic soil here in Western Colorado (actually found in lots of desert areas) that is a living soil and stepping, driving or mountain biking on it kills it, leaving tracks for many, many years. It looks like black, bumpy stuff, but is easy to identify. We try to avoid this soil when we see it.
Wow, that's really interesting. I didn't realize that there were similar slow-growing environments in the lower 48, but it's great that you guys do your part not to damage the landscape. Alaska is huge- and there's plenty of scenic terrain to ride on. If I can keep it pretty by not riding on the parts that are damaged easily, that's fine by me. I'll stick to the designated areas.

Related Content You Might Like: