• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Bearing Noise? (2007 Toyota Tundra)

Jergen

Hi all, downhill in sharp turn I hear a metal on metal grating sound. Brakes, wheel bearings, etc? Any ideas. Anybody have a similar problem? I have about 125,000 miles on an 07 Tundra. Upon examination, hubs don't turn entirely free. After this amount of miles would one expect front wheel bearings to go bad? Thanks in advance. Jergen

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
The only way to know for sure is to pull the wheels and look. Could be ether or both.

Last edited:

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Its not unheard of to go that early, but not common either.
I replaced wheel bearings on an 09 Tundra some months ago, the owner admitted to using the truck off road quite a bit.
Yea I know sealed bearings, sealed but not impervious to dust, water, mud, etc.
It happens.

Jergen

Its not unheard of to go that early, but not common either.
I replaced wheel bearings on an 09 Tundra some months ago, the owner admitted to using the truck off road quite a bit.
Yea I know sealed bearings, sealed but not impervious to dust, water, mud, etc.
It happens.
Hi, thank you very much for the reply. I had bearings replaced, and could not find anything wrong. Metal on metal grating sound occurs down hill on a sharp curve. Sounds like when brake pads rub against rotor, but no evidence of that. Mechanic is at a total loss. Any ideas? Thanks Jay

Jergen

Sorry Kenny Ididn't specify. No it is a standard 07 Tundra, 5.7L engine. I'm beginning to think grating sound, downhill on curve, occurs when I brake, although metal on metal might happen independent of braking. Again, no sign of metal to metal contact on pads, rotor, backing plate etc. It's a mystery. An expensive one. Thanks for your time. Jay

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
It sounds like you have something rubbing, but it could be a spot on the brake pads with just a little speck of impunity in it also. Although this is rear, it does happen form time to time. Pull the wheels, then the callapers and pull the pads and inspect for an abnormality. If something is rubbing, it will show itself with a through inspection. If not rite away, it will in time. Look for a clean or shiny spot, or ring. These are all things that can be done in your driveway. Sometimes mechanics over look things in the intress of a quick buck, not all, but some.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I'm gonna assume you checked the dust shields already.
Are you running factory wheels?

Jergen

It sounds like you have something rubbing, but it could be a spot on the brake pads with just a little speck of impunity in it also. Although this is rear, it does happen form time to time. Pull the wheels, then the callapers and pull the pads and inspect for an abnormality. If something is rubbing, it will show itself with a through inspection. If not rite away, it will in time. Look for a clean or shiny spot, or ring. These are all things that can be done in your driveway. Sometimes mechanics over look things in the intress of a quick buck, not all, but some.
Thanks Kenny, yes, all of the above was pulled and looked good. Just got it back together today so will give it a good test drive and see if the problem remains. Thanks for your help

Related Content You Might Like: