• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Anyone Here Use Or Drive Uber?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Just curious if anyone on here is an active uber user, an infrequent uber user or actually an uber driver?

I've been thinking about using my minivan to be an uber driver, just to make some extra money maybe just for fun stuff to write about, who knows? Anyone have any advice on that?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
A co worker drives for uber wknds & evenings.
He was driving the Uber black service until someone trashed the back seat of his 2014 Tahoe LTZ with a sharp object during a ride.
Now he drives Uber regular with his wifes Taurus, but he's thinking about quiting because the mileage and maintenance are starting to add up and leave no profit.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
A co worker drives for uber wknds & evenings.
He was driving the Uber black service until someone trashed the back seat of his 2014 Tahoe LTZ with a sharp object during a ride.
Now he drives Uber regular with his wifes Taurus, but he's thinking about quiting because the mileage and maintenance are starting to add up and leave no profit.
That's what I've heard. One guy on YouTube said that he's only had one bad rider, a young woman who marked up his headliner with a mascara brush. He was able to get it cleaned up though.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
... Also it means more money when you can carry more people, called uberxl. However a minivan would deliver better gas mileage than a Tahoe, especially in city driving so much so that it could be an extra $500+ month for the same fares and hours worked.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Wait, I just read that uber will cover rider damage to vehicles.

They cover vomit cleanup fees for drivers that transport drunk passengers for example. And their insurance covers the trip when a passenger is in the vehicle ... So they should cover vandalism for sure.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Looks to me like Lyft is a better service than Uber.

Lyft will allow a driver to say that they are driving a certain direction and other people can join in the ride and get a seat essentially. Like Dallas to Austin in a 6 passenger vehicle, who's coming? Lyft also allows a driver to pick up passengers who are only headed in a general direction so that near the end of a driving shift you don't end up picking someone up who's driving the opposite way that you're going.

Uber is just a taxi service where you show up and take the rider anywhere they are headed. As a driver you can turn them down, but you often don't know that until you have driven to their location.

Just FYI, I'm launching a ride-share forum that will cover Uber and Lyft.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Plus Lyft actually interviews the drivers and a potential driver needs to meet with a Lyft mentor and give him/her a ride on a driving test. That might be a little much, but it helps to filter out the bad drivers and those which vehicles that might just barely be street legal.

Related Content You Might Like: