• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Car Thieves Caught on Twitter Accounts @SeattlePD @GetYourCarBack AKX9817

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I'm in Seattle to get through the burial part of losing my dad last month. :-(

While here, went out to a park called Carkeek park, it's very pretty and reminds me of what I used to love about the Seattle area.

However, while at the park there were two VERY strange guys walking around a car and they actually wandered around the park. Other people at the park said they made them feel weird as well and kept their kids on a tighter leash.

Anyhow, long story short, they started acting even more bizarre wandering around the park and finally they both got back into the car. We were going to watch the train go underneath us on a little pedestrian overpass to the beach, but while heading that way we walked past the car and one of the guys had a screwdriver out and was beating the driver's door handle with it!!!

We decided to snap a few pictures and take some video as well.

Ok, that's odd, people don't normally go to a park and break their own door handle off. So we decided to call in a suspicious person's report to 911. My sister did that.

AKV9817 Stolen Toyota Spotted in Carkeek Park:

Took the police maybe 15 minutes (that's a guess, didn't time it) to get there and then as they drove in and by us (with my sister waving her arms back and forth frantically and me waving at them as they drove right by me) they just kept right on driving and never stopped. They drove around a turn and out of sight.

Getting stranger. So we pack up like 15 minutes later and drive out. Cops were still there sitting at a different part of the park!

Sister strikes up a conversation with them, but essentially they said that they need a crime before they can do anything, it could be the guy's own car that he was beating with a screwdriver. I agree with this. But, at that point in time we did have a partial plate number.

I'm no police officer, but I do know a thing out two about SQL databases. We had 5 of 7 numbers, including the first and the last two, and we had the make/model and color of the vehicle. The Seattle PD might not have a tool to pull partial plates, but it is possible for such a tool to exist.

Anyhow, long story short I find the responding officer's attitude and willingness to even stop with us was lacking. We said that we could email him the photos and video and he asked if he could just have the phone. Really? Come on officer. I just simply zoomed in and hit pause and took me like 2 minutes to get to a point where I could see the license plate clearly. I would have done that there on the spot if he was more receptive.

So i zoomed and paused the video and see AKV9817.

A quick Google search shows that plate in a tweet earlier in the day. How about that? Yep, it was reported stolen that morning.

Really wish the police came faster. Wish they stopped and chatted with us. Wish they would have expressed any interest in working with us to get the plate number from the video, even ask what photos or video we had. They did none of that. Effort level 1 out of 100 maybe.

Oh well. If this is your stolen car, then two sketchy guys were driving it at Carkeek park in Seattle and left at around 5:10 pm on 7/23/2014. One had long beard and was older. I didn't get a photo of him. This guy in the picture was younger and he was driving. Sorry that we couldn't help you.

GRAY 93 TOYOTA CAMRY 4D LIC/AKV9817.WA ***DO NOT MAKE CONTACT CALL 911***

************ UPDATE ***************
Just got a ping from @seattlepd twitter account telling me that an arrest has been made in a twitter posted stolen car case!

How cool is that? We we met a police detective on the auto theft task force and he had 6 photos for us to look at. It took me a minute to zoom in on the correct guy, but we both indepenently came up with one guy who fit the description of what we saw.

Are we sure? I said I was 95% sure and my wife said she was 99.9% certain. That was inside of their marigin of error and he then told me that was their guy. We picked the right guy!

WIN ONE FOR GOOD CITIZENS JUST BEING AWARE OF THEIR SURROUNDINGS ... and maybe going the extra mile.

Last edited:

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah. It was pretty wild. Pretty cool that seattle PD tweets out licence plate numbers for stolen vehicles.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Pretty ignorant that even though they tweet out stolen vehicle plate numbers their officers dont have the energy or motivation to track these vehicles down.
And some people wonder why vigilante justice is making a comeback in America.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
The Seattle PD did manage to tweet today that an amazon drone hit the space needle ... around the tone that we were down there.

They got a lot of flack for doing that.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
It's a cool program that they tweet out the description and license plate number of each vehicle that's reported stolen.

But you have to go to twitter to get the list? How does that work? Seems that it could be useful for abandoned cars maybe but checking a license plate on the fly might be more difficult.

Anyhow sucks that you were so close to the stolen car but it didn't end up with the owner getting it back or the perps getting nabbed.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
No. Twitter is indexed by Google so the license plate had been indexed as it was part of the twitter post. The Google results were linked straight to the twitter post.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Washington state....maybe the cops had just burned at fatty and were just a little too complacent,,,did not want to "get involved"

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I heard back from@seattlePD on twitter but that was it. If they had jumped on this then someone would have his/her car back.

Wonder if there is any way to find the owner? Washington state has strong privacy laws so it might be tougher.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah. I added an update to the op in this thread. Police found the car and made an arrest but they didn't give us a whole lot of details regarding what went on exactly.

So as we were leaving town I got a dm on twitter from @SeattlePD saying they made an arrest. We stopped by to meet the detective in charge and we both indepenently picked out the guy who they arrested.

Anyhow, if he's got some addictions i hope he can get some treatment.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
... this thread has gotten very active in the last 24 hours with over 500 views size this time yesterday.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Well it's an interesting story so probably has got a lot of people interested. Wonder how long it will take to go to trial (if it ever does?) Maybe if he can get some help that would be good as well but we're dealing with a stolen car here and not just someone with drug paraphernalia or whatever.

Related Content You Might Like: