• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Air conditioning problem plus another question-

Pawper

Hi folks-I'm new here so I have to learn my way around yet. We bought a 2001 4WD Tacoma with 3.4l engine and 5 spd std. It has 267,000 kms on it and so far runs very well except now that the warm weather is here we discovered that the AC doesn't work. The mag clutch does not engage and the compressor itself is not seized or anything like that. The AC light comes on, the fan works, and the fuse is OK as well as the relay, from I can determine. I took the relay out and removed the cover so the contacts were visible...they worked OK.
So I wonder if anyone can suggest why the mag clutch won't engage--I didn't get into actually putting 12V directly to it yet as it is hard to get at and I don't know if the wire I see going to it wants 12V on it to operate the thing. Any ideas?
Also--while we're here--what is that little plastic thing on the timing cover passenger side that has two wires going to it?
Thanks a lot anyone............Pawper

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, I would hold off on putting power directly to that unit. Is it doing anything at all? Seems like everything works up to the point where the compressor starts to kick in. How long have you owned it by the way?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Thinking about it again I think the mag clutch relay is suspect. They can go out even if they look normal.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Huh. Did it not save my first message about this? I guess my phone died before it could save.

Pawper

Well, we came by the truck through an unfortunate circumstance--we purchased it from our sister-in-law after her husband and close friend of us passed away. So we have had it only since February. We tried the AC and thought it was working but pretty hard to tell in February, not that it would have been a deal breaker anyway.
Yeah, so about the relay....under normal conditions with fan on and engine running, the solenoid is pulling the contact towards the barrel of the solenoid. When pushing the AC 'on' the contact goes the other way. At least that's how I recall it. In any case, I thought that one way or the other would engage the mag clutch, but neither one does.
Anyway--anybody know about my other question? What is that thing that looks like a sensor on the plastic timing cover? It has 2 wires going to it.
I have plenty more to say and ask about this truck but don't to put it all down on this thread.

thanks..Pawper

Pawper

Still going to get around to posting a pic of that sensor or whatever it is.........meanwhile, doing other little things on the truck.
P.

Related Content You Might Like: