• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Advice on Tacoma's

pir^2h

As you can see, this is my first post here. I am not criticizing or bashing the truck. I really like the cabs in these trucks but I am concerned about something else.

I went test driving a couple models today and I am curious about something. I went to two different dealerships and had the same experience and impressions.

I test drove two (one at each dealership) four cylinder models and they ran pretty good but seemed slow on take off and pick up to pass other vehicles. It felt like they were "underpowered" for the job and size of this truck.

I test drove three six cylinder models and they all had reasonable pickup for this size of engine and truck on both take off and passing but they all seemed to run rough once the engine was not under any stress any longer and it was cruising. I felt like they were "bucking". I don't believe it was the road because if was different highways I was using and I did test drive a RAV4 and it ran smooth on the same road at the second dealership.

The sales manager himself at the second dealership told me that the Tacoma would not achieve the estimated 21 MPG and I would be lucky to get 16 - 17 mile per gallon, which is not that much different than a Tundra. Last year I did test drive a Tundra (it was smooth!) and I wanted to get it but I am not going to stretch myself out financially that far. Between the payments, insurance and fuel mileage it isn't worth it to me. He also stated he could probably get me into a Tundra for just a few dollars more than a Tacoma because there was not that much mark up on the small trucks; they had more negotiating room on the Tundra. Now how much is a few dollars, that is subject it interpretation!

Am I crazy?!!!

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The 4ltr engine doesnt seem to run as smooth in the higher RPM's, not sure if it's an internal balance issue or what, this has been noted for a few years.
The 4cy is probably as durable as you'll get but like you noted the oommf isnt there, the Tacoma has grown in size and weight since the 96-2004 model and I'm not really convinced with it's new found girth and weight that the 4cyl does the job as good as it did on previous versions. I know the 4 cyl will still return decent mileage numbers, and there is a lot of aftermarket improvments that can be done for it, but if your watching a budget aftermarket improvements might not be in the budget.
I'm not a fan of the Tundra myself, yea the larger engine has the needed hp for its' weight but the mileage suffers for it.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
most of the major manufacturers have been putting their money behind getting better gas mpg in their full size trucks and they are approaching the mpg of the mid-size trucks, it's crazy but its true and a dirty little secret.

pir^2h

I am going to go back to the dealer and see what it will take to get a Tundra I think. I may have to wait for awhile while I am putting away my spare money (lol-with three kids in college, what is that?) That problem with the shuddering when it is crusing and the engine is under little stress is playing on my mind because of the problems Ford is having with their Eco-boost. Ford has had to replace a couple trucks that I know of under the lemon law for this. Who knows how many they have replaced that Ford will not reveal! The number is probably staggering.

On another site that I subscribe to a guy had his Eco-boost replaced by Ford just a couple months ago and the problem has already started again. His description of the problem starts the same way as I am describing this one. It is too bad though. I really like the size and feel of the Tacoma but I am going to have to live with this vehicle for 15 - 20 years! I do literally drive them till they can't run any longer.

My 1993 Chevy Astro (which was totalled last year and I rebuilt with the insurance money) has almost 218,000 miles on it. It must have a bad bearing or a stuck ring or something. It makes an awful squeal when it is running, and a head gasket blew a few days ago. I thought about getting a new engine but I still have a 19 year old car with a 19 year old transmission, 19 year old everything else. It could end up costing a lot of money in maintenance over the next couple years so I want to cut my losses.

I have done quite a bit of reading on this site since someone sent me the link and there is a lot of good info on here.

jimmyno

Ouch!.. This is just so crazy.. Dirty little secrets.. But still, it's a nice truck.. And why worry about gas mpg? You can afford a Tundra, so most probably, you can afford a few liters of gas. Right?

Related Content You Might Like: