• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

84 Toyota Pickup No Starter Action

Welcome back to me....I just returned froma year long deployment and am getting back to work on my rebuild. here is my problem...I have 84 Toyota 4X4 pickup that I cannot get toturn over.... I completely stripped down to metal repainted , reinstalled wire harness rebuilt eng tranny new battery etc... I got power when I turn ignition to on but when I go to start....NOTHING no click NOTHING... Battery is BRAND new 4 days old. starter tested good, I just don't know whats not working here...I look in the manual and its not helpful. I was trying to figure out if Ignition switch was bad but it ohms out ok. there is No neutral switch that I can see (no extra wires from tranny). All my grounds appear to be in place. I don't recall seeing a clutch pedal switch when I removed the pedals. and manual does not discuss one....ANY thoughts????

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
4X4 trucks for that yr had a clutch switch, that doesn't mean along the way someone didn't wire around it. Which was a trick used to use the starter in low gear to get the truck unstuck.
Also check for power at the starter. If its there you may need to rebuild the starter and solenoid, Toyota did sell a kit for this, don't know if its still available

RedDirtRollin

Did you see if the small wire going to the starter solenoid has 12v when the key is turned to the start position? I have an 84 myself and 4x4 prolly the same exact pickup. Doin the same as u are to mine but motor has a bunch of upgrades. So I have had to do alot of trouble shooting along the way. When I got my pickup. The motor was shot! So I started from scratch. I'll help as much as can.

I've got it solved.... loose wire at starter. the blade connector was not getting a good connection. so onward and upwards.. gonna fill radiator and trans. so I can run engine. then will work on timing.

Related Content You Might Like: