• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

4th Generation Toyota Highlander ... A Few Years Off, Maybe 2020?

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
The 4th gen Highlander won't hit showrooms until 2020 or thereabouts. However, the HL will undergo a typical mid-model cycle refresh for 2017. This will consist of trim changes, a new version--the SE--and at least one new color. Don't expect too much in this refresh, as Toyota won't change much.

Edited: pics of the updated 2017 Highlander.

2017-Toyota-Highlander-front-three-quarters.jpg
2017-Toyota-Highlander-rear-three-quarter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, just trying to stay ahead off it all, lol. Hopefully they'll start to tease.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
I get it. BTW- the 2017 refresh WILL include a new, direct injected engine, with start/stop technology. We'll see how THAT works--I'm a bit skeptical.

Also an 8-speed transmission! Really?

So maybe ignore my previous post where I stated that I thought not much would be changed. This refresh could be interesting.

Last edited:

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
The highlander is really turning out to be a very good seller for Toyota. I'm still thinking about getting one for my daily driver.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
We like ours well enough. It's a good highway/trip vehicle, comfortable, quiet, good visibility, lots of room & fast enough. Gets reasonable mileage too--like 23-25 most of the time. We may upgrade later--once this "new technology" proves itself. I'm still a proponent of "Never buy the first year of a new model/generation vehicle." On other forums, lots of 2013 owners report some obnoxious problems that we haven't had with our 2014 (2nd year).

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, that's a good point. I know they keep telling us that these vehicles and all products these days are engineered so well that they get rid of these issues during the final testing of the design phase ... but that's not going to find issues like a/c units that tend to fail when used in hot weather over 75,000 miles when moving between high and low altitude (pressure changes on the systems) ... or alternators that might end up being squeaky, or air flow across the cabin, etc.

Toyota Girl

100 Posts
I've been thinking about getting a highlander actually. How well can they be equipped to do light trail driving on an AWD model?

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Jenny, while the HL would be fine for gravel (or other frequently maintained) roads, and maybe some trails that are relatively smooth, I don't think it would work well for any trails that are rocky/bumpy/rough. Why? Because 1) the ground clearance is minimal, 2) there's no underbody protection--like skid plates, 3) the OEM tires are street tires, and 4) Toyota never intended the HL to be an off-roader. That said, there's no reason you couldn't put on some reasonable off-road tires & try it to see what happens on the trails in Washington. We have a Land Cruiser for our off-road travels here in Colorado, and use our HL for on-pavement.

Toyota Girl

100 Posts
The 4th gen Highlander won't hit showrooms until 2020 or thereabouts. However, the HL will undergo a typical mid-model cycle refresh for 2017. This will consist of trim changes, a new version--the SE--and at least one new color. Don't expect too much in this refresh, as Toyota won't change much.
Are they working on this now?

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
AFAIK, yes they are, but we'll need to wait a few months (September) to actually see what's included in the refresh.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I've not seen any images or artists concept renderings to show what we might expect.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts

Edited: pics of the updated 2017 Highlander.

View attachment 5034 View attachment 5035
This date is getting closer and closer. We'll keep you updated.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
The 2020 Toyota Highlander will be available in December 2019.

Read all about it ...

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Even though Toyota calls the 2020 HL a "complete re-design" (same as a new generation), after seeing the photos of the 2020 on the Toyota web site, all I could think was: "Ok, a new grille, but most of the body panels pretty much look the same." I hope that I'm proven wrong when it actually is available.

Related Content You Might Like: