• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

22re Head Gasket

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Head gasket is leaking in my son '89 Toyota 4x4.. I will do a thread on this repair. Possibly if someone has done one any tips?..or possibly we learn something we can contribute. Fun starts Saturday.. Good timing for him as my truck is available as loner for the week or whatever it takes.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Where is it leaking? Internally as I a full blown gasket or just a partial external leak or what? Sounds like fun either way. o_O

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
He's been adding antifreeze daily for a week. He came buy last night, warmed engine up, no external leaks but the telltale white smoke billowing out tailpipe as well moisture inside oil filler cap...no noticeable moisture on dipstick yet....timing chain guides are making a racket as well so add that to the list ,might as well do water pump while we are in there...

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Here's the truck. He had it at work Monday. The snow cats in background are what he services/repairs. They will be shipped out soon to start building winter roads
image.jpeg

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Funny you mention heat. Boy noticed cracks on wood stove this am. Phoned stove vendor and he told send pics , serial # etc. The box carries lifetime warranty. They will fix me up. It's a Pacific Energy stove. Awesome little unit.
image.jpeg

Currently 10C outside,,we are warmest spot in Canada,,,,This is insane...way above seasonal temps!

Last edited:

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Getting the head off is going a bit slow. I just checked up on progress. The 20oz knockometer step is now
image.jpeg

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
10c is like 50f. That's almost what it is in Dallas! We're at 60f right now.

Looks like a good stove. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest between Boise, Spokane and Seattle spent over 25 years with cold winters, one year we kept the fire going non-stop for 3 months because it was so cold, I think it got to -40 Fahrenheit with the wind chill in Spokane once. Which is a coincidence, because that's the temperature at which Celsius in Fahrenheit Meetup -40 Fahrenheit is the same as -40 Celsius.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Head is out now time to determine ...replace gasket or drop in a rebuilt long block,,,underside of head. #4 cylinder
image.jpeg

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I'm just the peanut gallery,,, old guy in body brace but they did warm up to idea of using cherry picker to lift head/manifold. About 6 hours to remove head. They were taking their time getting everything disconnected.
No surprises. If we install head gasket today what will it be next week on this 166000 mile truck.
image.jpeg

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Looks like good times, I think one of the best times of my childhood is when my dad included me (like I had a choice...) in rebuilding a 454 in the family Suburban. Hopefully you'll be up and running next weekend?

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Ordered parts,,,delivery is Dec. 16th. So project on hold until the new loaded head, timing chain kit with steel guides and water pump arrive.. he also ordered CV's left and right to install. Good time to clean up a few surface rust areas.
My son has dug in on a few projects of mine years ago,,he located and cut all the spot welds in my '68 firebird to replace floor pans..a massive job when doing frame off...
As well he fabricated the gas tank and tailgate for the old truck in the picture which I completed 3 years later.
firebird2.jpg

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Nice to have a space like that to work in. My next house is going to have a stand-alone man-shop/garage in the back.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I had put off building garage when I purchased property util spring...that project got moved ahead when one night in November had wife outside holding light so I could slip CV joint into her car. It was very cold and windy,,, she said "enough of this $#!+! "order a garage"
I had the footings/floor poured 2 weeks later and by end of month all the garage was complete, electrical,insulation, heat , drywall. The only thing I farmed out was the foundation and hanging the over head door. I had 6 friends come over and we framed and skinned the building in 12 hours. Cost only $17K complete,, footing to shingles,,,saved lots doing my own work. The building has paid for itself over and over again!

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
This is a very tedious process. No comparison to swapping head and water pump on a old v8!
Today got head and timing chain on. I found the somewhat hidden 6 m Allen head bolt that was holding intake manifold tight. It had been overlooked. Oil pan has to come off. Guess Boy is going to poke away at it when he can this week. He's very meticulous. Don't know how many hours a shop would charge but their rates have always motivated us to do our own work.

Attachments

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
Oilpan came off today. The engine mount bolts must be removed so engine can be lifted a couple inches. As well drop the front diff. Hot wrench was handy for some of the nuts on diff mount. This is only way oil pan comes off. Pieces of old timing chain guides were in pan. Finally into assembly stage.

Last edited:

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Today assembly was completed. We had pics on phone for reference of hoses, wires etc. Had to move distributor a couple times before the truck fired up and now runs smoothly and much quieter without the rattling timing chain and no leaking head gasket blowing white smoke out tail pipe.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
So,, a week after the install completed boy came by and adjusted the valves,,,they were way off! Runs excellent now. A week later the exhaust at cat broke. That was replaced last year,. JUNK,,if i go through my threads I noted the BRAND. A week after that his alternator went.. Local supplier had one in stock and took some grinding on alternator housing to make it fit. Good thing we work cheap!
It can be some annoying but with older vehicles seems if something is due for maintenance winter is the time it will let you know. Tallying up all parts from head gasket kit,rebuilt head, timing chain kit, water pump, exhaust repair and new alternator, About $1000 CDN,,,still cheap to run old Toyota trucks

Last edited:

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Boys 22RE engine started making rattling sound. Pulled valve cover off. Eeeeew this is not good. No oil getting to this cam lobe. WTF! Looks like head coming off again. I have never seen a cam worn down like that. Head has to come off again!

Attachments

Last edited:

Related Content You Might Like: