• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2002 Land Cruiser Questions

A neighbor is offering to sell me his 2002 Land Cruiser, 152,000 miles. Haven't gone over it with him yet, but from a distance it looks very clean. Would like to know: What options were available for that year, and which would be important to look for? Are there any special areas I should be concerned about (mechanicals, body, trim, electrical, etc.)? What sort of price range should I be expecting/accepting (quick web search shows a huge range)? Anything else I should be thinking about?! Any help and guidance hugely appreciated. Thanks!

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Land cruisers were known for having very few options available. They only sold around 12k to 15k of these in the us annually, so those who bought them really liked them.

Research Car Model

The most important fact is to determine if the service work was done on a regular basis. Also, take it for a test drive how you drive, be prepared even on a 2002 to pay at least 10k easy.

Land cruisers were known for having very few options available. They only sold around 12k to 15k of these in the us annually, so those who bought them really liked them.

Research Car Model

The most important fact is to determine if the service work was done on a regular basis. Also, take it for a test drive how you drive, be prepared even on a 2002 to pay at least 10k easy.
Thanks, Steve, for the info. Everything is helpful for me at this point!

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Land Cruisers were very expensive when they were new, so the plus side is that usually people who can afford that type of payment can very often afford the maintenance and usually don't thrash them around.

I was looking at a used land cruiser maybe a year ago, and I was seeing them about 100,000-115,000 miles be listed for anywhere up to about $12,500 and I guess sold for $10k to whatever. Some of the higher mileage rigs were being listed private party for less ...

Land Cruisers were very expensive when they were new, so the plus side is that usually people who can afford that type of payment can very often afford the maintenance and usually don't thrash them around.

I was looking at a used land cruiser maybe a year ago, and I was seeing them about 100,000-115,000 miles be listed for anywhere up to about $12,500 and I guess sold for $10k to whatever. Some of the higher mileage rigs were being listed private party for less ...
Again, very useful info. Thanks.

Just looked at this Cruiser today. Mt neighbor wants $14,000, which is at the high end of prices I've seen. Looks a very clean vehicle, tho. Engine is absolutely spotless tho he told me he'd just had the whole vehicle detailed. He said he's the second owner and bought it about 100,000 mile ago. Told me the local BrakeMax has all the service records since he has owned it, incl. for new timing belt (and water pump done at the same time), and said he'd be fine with me contacting them to see all that. Said the springs have been replaced with stronger ones. Took it for a short drive and checked out all the bells and whistles - everything seems to work fine. Has navigation but I'm sure the software is out of date - wondering if that can be upgraded? Am seriously considering it but told him I'd want a mechanic I know to check it out - he was fine with that. Does anything seem out of line - price or anything else? Anything I should be asking or looking for? All thoughts and advice hugely appreciated!

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Did you get any pics? Seems high for the asking price, where are you located at?

I'm in Tucson, Arizona and it's an Az vehicle (so no rust issues). Didn't get pix, I'm afraid. But, yes, I think it's on the high side, though not the highest when I look at similar vehicles being offered for sale on Autotrader, for example. Doesn't mean the sellers are going to get those prices, of course. But I'm wondering how comes there are those higher prices being asked out there which are so much out of line with the $7.3K-9.3K valuations on Edmunds and Kelley.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Yeah, there really isn't a set value for what it should exactly go for, but rather how much is it worth to you and what else can you get for the same money?

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Seems like his asking price is high. But in your area it could be about right. Keep checking around and comparing prices to confirm. If it turns out to be the vehicle you want - I would offer a few thousand less and haggle from there.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Plus is he going to sell it anyway, or just because you're interested?

Thanks, y'all! Have been checking around and it still seems high. He is selling it anyway, he says, and he told me somebody else he knows had been round to see it the day before me, so it may have gone anyway. But if not and I feel it is what I want (it has most tho not all of what I'm looking for in an SUV) I'll definitely offer lower and see what he's prepared to accept.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Well, the only one near me is this ... so maybe that's what they're going for.

upload_2016-6-6_22-8-18.png

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Nationwide on cars.com they range in price quite a bit actually.

upload_2016-6-6_22-15-12.png

Interesting. Thanks. Yes, as we're saying - and seeing - $14K is on the high side but not necessarily over the top given the wide range of asking prices. That is asking price, to, so, as has been mentioned, what these vehicles are actually selling for is another question.

Related Content You Might Like: