• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

1986 Toyota 4WD 22r camshaft question

zephcurtis

Hello I'm completely rebuilding my 22r and I'm wondering if you all had any advice for me on upgrading the camshaft. It will be a daily driver(10 miles round trip) and a hunting truck/mudding truck. Would the stock cam that comes with the rebuild be fine or is there something better I should get? Thanks for any help!

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Are you looking to get more power out of the engine? What's your goal for the upgrade?

bluzcruzer

Lots of folks on here can give you good advice for that. I suggest doing thorough research before making the jump though, as my own misfortune has cost me considerable time and money. I have a 85 22r, that had been given me. It had a failed head gasket and had sat for 3 yrs.....1 yr after her boyfriend had removed cover on it, scalping parts. Water had created rust in the cylinders, to the extent, I had to emery sand them smooth. Looking for parts, I found a great deal on a brand new head and decided to go with the new top end....for my cousin sake, as her girls were to be driving the truck. Long story short, she tired of pouring money in it and gave it to me. Looking back...this truck took on considerable damage having sat there for so long and was pretty run down. Both front brake calipers needed replaced, the heater core, fan switch and resistor, 2 freeze plugs, taillights, windshield, canopy door shocks...carbs.....yes...that is plural and this is where it gets sticky...literally. The truck at first, would not keep running....I ran it on prime, until I diagnosed a bad fuel pump. This took just long enough, to flatten the new cam. These motors only lubricate in the run condition. Hard lesson learned there folks...so I got a used fuel pump and stripped the hipo cam from my 20 r, after learning I could use it. Several oil changes later....after getting confident enough I had removed most of the metal from 5 flattened lobes, the trucks running...but in a very rich condition. Restarting, however, was very much like priming it up from being out of gas...turns out the check valve in the used pump....didn't work. New fuel pump later and still running rich and poorly....So I run out and buy a used 22r carb......turns out its off a manual trans p/u and don't have the idle down mechanism. Not thinking it a big deal..I went ahead using it......wrong. The auto trans needs the idle down. With it running rich....hard starting and not idling down, caused it to burn trans fluid at a high rate....hi idle is severe duty with an auto...I had to change fluids 3 times in 7k miles,(the first after the new head), the last time with a new filter. So now...I changed the carb out with my old trusty 32/36 weber. I'd been running this carb on my hipo 20r for 20 yrs and it pretty much needs a rebuild....so I'm back to....running rich and poorly....although, still drivable. This carb served me so well, for so long....I didn't think it needed rebuilt immediately and went to troubleshoot the emissions...of which, I failed. So rather than fight that fight...I just gutted the cats and stripped the system. The truck still is running rich and won't idle right. Running out of time, before cold weather and not ever having much luck rebuilding carbs...I just order a new 38 weber from redline. With both webers....the truck ran beautifully....but would not idle correctly and would stall and flood. When I converted to the 32/36, I had to modify the linkage. I built a plate that extended the cable arm to meet the short 32 shaft lever, 1". I also cut away some of the assembly to slightly change the angles. The 38 had a longer linkage arm and prompted me remove the plate....but the mod created a bind situation..so in the effort to return the 38...I rebuilt the 32 and reinstalled it, only to have it continue to run rich...It does run good...but I'm having trouble with it idling. Even using the extended linkage shaft...it wants to bind...now I've weakened the support. Funny though....the 38 works perfect now, with the short arm, so its unlikely I'll send it back. So...my conclusion is...incorrect jetting for either carb. to work correctly with my 20r hipo cam. I'll be changing them pronto, as they are easy to get to and replace. The 38 will go on my 21ru, but will also need rejetted for the smaller motor...maybe it will breathe a little power to that turd. Know also, the 20r weber converter will not work for the 22r...you will need the universal....which will work for both...Good luck with rejetting that stock carb....as I'm sure you will need too after changing that cam. Just know if your using a 20r cam with a 22r motor....you will be rejetting...cheers.

Cali4rnr

100 Posts
Check out engnbldr.com . He's got a great selection of cams. A 261 for torque/off-road. A 268 for performance street/DD/pre-runner. And a 270H.O. with good mid to top end. A lot of guys I know swear he's the best. Gonna be buying a timing chain set from him soon. His kits include the steel guides which don't wear out like the factory plastic ones.

Related Content You Might Like: